+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New Pool Owner With High Iron Manually Removing Iron

Default Re: New Pool Owner With High Iron Manually Removing Iron

thank you. i am glad i came here because the pool places around me have no clue what to tell me. One said they never heard of chlorine turning water brown and tried to sell other chemicals. This is my first forum and my first pool. i'll try posting a thread. Thanks again.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

The flocculants help consolidate solid particles that might be too small for the filter to catch, but that does not include metal ions.

As Janet said, the metal sequestrants hold the metal ions into solution, essentially making them so they won't react when the pH rises and won't form solids that can stain. There are some products that claim to remove metals in the filter, but they don't seem to work reliably.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by newpoolgirl View Post
    One said they never heard of chlorine turning water brown and tried to sell other chemicals
    NO!!! I am shocked!!

Glad you found us, newpoolgirl!

Quote Originally Posted by labdi01 View Post
    I have a chem question for you, Richard. I'm doing the ascorbic acid treatment right now. It still has to circulate until tomorrow (Wed) at 6:00 am, then we filter. I added a bottle of sequestrant as per the instructions after adding the acids. Would our makeshift filter catch sequestered metals as well? Doesn't sequestrant make the particles "larger" so a filter can catch them (or is that chelators)?
    I have been reading your posts and I am about ready to get my backhoe out and fill the pool in...... Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your setup?

Regards,
    Chris

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

In addition to metal sequsterants it has been found that chitosan based water clarifiers (so called "natural clarifiers") can also combine with metal ions in the water and in theory remove them when the clarifier clumps and is filtered out. How well this works I really don't know but it is documented that chistosan does help removed metals, particularly copper, in waste water.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread