+ Reply to Thread

Thread: inground pool steps

Wink inground pool steps

my husband cannot use our ladder to exit the pool due to arthritic hip. We want to purchase some steps for our inground pool. Many I have seen are the wedding cake style which butt up against side of pool. Since we often get water behind our liner and our floor is not tight against side, there is a concern with this style. We have recently looked at a model meant for above ground pools which looks like it will work. It is the Royal Entry Stair. I liked this style because the area under stairs is more open, thus it doesn't come close to wall of pool .Has anyone used AG steps in and IG pool? any thoughts?suggestions?thanks in advance!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: inground pool steps

You have to be very careful as AG steps can be much taller than IG steps--more steps.

While my pool is technically an AG pool, in most things it's more like an IG (FantaSea--similar to the old redwood pools).

I have drop-in wedding cake steps. I found a unit with two hand-rails (many have just one) and I installed it so the back of the steps is about 1/2" away from the wall so it doesn't abrade the wall and I remove them after every season.

To protect the bottom of my liner, I bought a 4' square of the vinyl plumbers use under shower stalls. It's about 40mils and available at Home Depot. I just cut it to be slightly larger than the steps and put the writing side down. It's gray, not blue but it does the job.

I used to weigh the steps down with sand bags but I found the rails do a good enough job.

Sorry, I don't remember the brand of steps.
    Carl

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: inground pool steps

Hi Heather, good to see you again!!

Any chance a liner drop is in the near future? If so, you can 'retro install' corner steps before dropping the liner, they're made of the same steel as the wall panels and would be perfect for your husband - I've installed a couple dozen of them and it's really not that hard

HTH
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread