+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: pool store ethics?

Default Re: pool store ethics?

picked up test kit and 24 gallons of 12.5% liqiud cl
    just added 3 gallons and we have brown! - its working!
    I am getting ready to dive into the test kit instructions so I can test accuratally, looks a little overwhelming at first but I am sure I'll get the hang of it.
    Anybody else who has gone through this in the past, please chime in with any tips or suggestions.

Thanks again!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Just know when you go into this that your pool is going to turn some very different, sometimes scary colors. Just stick with it, keep it at shock level (15 ppm) as consistently as you can, and it will all be over soon!!

The pressure on your filter will probably rise pretty often due to the bacqua-goo that collects, so keep an eye on it and backwash it as needed. Also keep in mind that your pH readings will be off with the high amounts of chlorine you're using--usually read falsely high, so I wouldn't do any adjusting until later on, as long as it's above 7.0. Keep the pool at shock level until you're not losing any chlorine overnight and the pool is clear--then add your stabilizer, let your Cl drift back down, and change your filter media, and then you'll be in business!!!!

Janet

thanks for the ecouraging words! Ill have to run to the hardware store to pick up a new pressure guage, as mine has been toast for two years now.
    I plan on testing every two hours and adjusting as needed.
    Now I just need to find a magnafying glass to read these test kit instructions.
    Can you add too much liquid cl in the begining?
    Not that I plan on it, just curious.

Thanks

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I think that the Baq pretty much uses up the chlorine in the beginning as fast as you put it in the pool--but just to be on the safe side for your liner's sake, I think I'd keep it at no higher than 15-20 ppm.

Janet

thanks, I think I may need more liquid cl before monday when the pool store opens, can I use the liquid bleach in the meantime if needed?
    just tested after adding 3 gallons of liquid cl no trace of cl, I must have lots of baq junk in the pool that the cl is attacking.
    I added 4 more gallons and will test in an hour or so.
    Again I am very greatfull for everybodys help, it makes this a lot less stressfull.
    Thanks,

Bill

Bleach is the same thing as liquid chlorine, just don't get the stuff that's scented or with extra additives. Pool store liquid chlorine is 12.5 %, regular bleach is 5.25%, and ultra is 6%. I use the generic bleach from WalMart almost exclusively in my pool.

Janet

thanks again!
    I am going through cl like it is going out of style!
    after adding a total of 18 gallons of 12.5 I still can't get a reading above 1.5 fc with the test kit.
    I hope I am reading it right, I will certainly run to wall mart in the a.m to fill my pick up full of bleach.
    I know my baq oxidizer level was high when I started, so I am sure that is the culprit.
    The water turns deep brown right after I add the cl, than fades to light green.
    I have back washed several times and will keep testing every hour, adding cl until I go to bed.
    Hope this is the proper procedure.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Unless your pressure is rising and the force at your return falling, don't bother backwashing. I don't think you need to test more than 3x/day.

But you're going to use a lot of chlorine!
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hi all ~ this is Bill's wife...thanks so much for all your help so far. Bill has splashed CL in his eye so I'm doing the typing

We have been taking pictures...our neighbors thought our pool was filled with chocolate milk. Very funny!

So far we have added 18 gallons of 12.5% liquid CL. We just took a reading that indicated 3 FC. Our test kit only goes to 5 FC. How do I know when FC levels are at the recommended 15ppm with our test kit? I'm worried we are going to add too much too fast.

Thanks again for all of you input ....we would be lost without you!

+ Reply to Thread