+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fine Tuning a Salt Water Pool

Default Re: Fine Tuning a Salt Water Pool

Hi Polyvue, I think my tester is even older and cheaper than that. It only goes to 3.0 and says that 1.0 - 1.5 is "IDEAL". The 5.0 readings come from the BTDG's best guess or the Pool store. I have been looking for a new tester but haven't found anything in the pool stores that go over 5.0, Which makes me wonder how some of these members are measuring readings like 7.0 etc. I am convinced as you stated in your previous post that FC levels between salt water systems and traditional chlorine systems are apples and oranges.

I went for a swim last night with a FC reading of 1.5 - 2.0 and had no eye irritation for the first time in probably 3 seasons. The bottom of the pool did feel slippery, which rather surprised me. I had turned my SWCG settings to 5 hours at 50% and was seeing 2.5 - 3.0 FC, so as an experiment I tried 5 hours at 40% which is what I swam in last night. Sooooo, assuming that the slippery bottom was a result of too low of a reading, I turned the setting back to 50% and will see what happens tonight.

I am not sure how to test for CC's, however the TC and the FC have had the same reading since I re-filled the pool on May 7th.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hey, Son!

Do yourself a big favor and order a Taylor K-2006 or 2006C. That way you will be able to test higher cl levels and CC. Can pick one up for under $50 at:

http://www.amatoind.com/taylor-k2006-test-p-555.html

Other places have it, too, of course, but this seems to be the best price anybody has found this spring that I have heard of so far.

Mom

Listen to Mom.

You don't want to have to lay down by your dog bowl again, now do you?

- - -
    I've purchased various chlorine/pH tests over the years but Taylor's K-2006 is, IMO, the very, very best. Its FAS-DPD chlorine test is idiot-proof, accurate and can test ridiculously high levels of chlorine. The others tests are great, as well. If you're like me (a bonafide testing fanatic) consider the 2 oz. reagent size of the K-2006C. Otherwise, the K-2006A will work just fine. Pool stores sell what sells the most -- and most of their customers have no idea what's important so just shop on the basis of price alone. That must be why so few (none in my area) stock the K-2006. Get it on-line, cheap, and be worry-free.......
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue View Post
    l. If you're like me (a bonafide testing fanatic) consider the 2 oz. reagent size of the K-2006C. .
    If you find yourself short on some of the reagents, you can always buy the ones you use most in bigger amounts....that's why I like spspools-spas website.

Janet

sturev is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sturev 0

Heads up on the Taylor 2006 kit from Amato; I ordered mine on Monday and they sent me an email today saying they are out and should be getting some in the next day or so... I'm not sure on the 2006C, they might have that in stock. I'm bummed because it will take a week to get to me once they get it, so I'm stuck with the OTO until then...
    Evan S.

AG FastLane Pool, 9x13 ~ 3,000 gal, COVERED/INSULATED 23X7, 30 gpm water pump (runs 12 hrs a day) AND a Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5 hp Pump (only used on occasion for the pool sweep), Hayward 100K BTU Heater, Waterway Flo-Pro Skim Filter & Slime Bag, no other filters

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue View Post
    Listen to Mom.

You don't want to have to lay down by your dog bowl again, now do you?
    NOOOOOO not the "Go lay by your dish" thing! LOL. I'll be a good dog.

I did a little reading in my faded out instruction sheet in the test kit. The test kit instructions refers back and forth between Total Chlorine and Combined Chlorine as being the same thing.

I have one of those Testers that says to fill with water and drop a tablet marked #1 into the tester, shake well and read the scale. Then drop one tablet marked #3 into the same solution and compare the readings.

Well, doing this, I determined that there is no difference.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Total chlorine and Combined chlorine are not the same thing. TC is the sum of the FC plus the CC. FC is the chlorine that is available to sanitize the water. CC is the chlorine that has already been "used up" sanitizing something in the water. TC is the total chlorine. You want CC to be 0, BTW and therefore, you want your FC to be equal to your TC. (That is kind of a simplified version of each.)

Kind of funny that that online pool store ran out of kits. (Not funny if you are someone waiting for yours, however. ) What do you bet that Pool Forum had something to do with that lack of available kits! Somebody should tell them they have us to thank for their good business and how about a donation to PF!

O.K. Mom, to the best of my knowledge, every test I had done whether it was my own feable attempt at pool wizardry or tests performed the pool store said that my Total Chlorine and my Free chlorine were the same reading. I don't know if the pool store ever did a CC test. I assume that the Test Kit you recommend will have a CC test.

I was a little confused by the instructions in my own kit. If I do the first part of the test using tablet #1, the sample turns a pinkish color and is read on the scale next to the water sample. Here is where I am confused. If I am reading it correctly, it says to put a tablet marked #3 into the pink solution and compare the first reading with the new reading, which will only be readible if the sample got darker. Now, I would have thought that you would start with a fresh sample of water THEN drop tablet #3 into it to compare the reading.

Now you know how I got my name. Sorry Mom

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallDumbGuy View Post

I did a little reading in my faded out instruction sheet in the test kit. The test kit instructions refers back and forth between Total Chlorine and Combined Chlorine as being the same thing.
    You WANT FC and TC to be the same and in a well maintained pool, they typically are because that would mean that your CC would be 0. But, that is not what you wrote in your post above which I quoted. In that one, you wrote that TC and CC as being the same. Big difference. If your TC and CC are the same, it would mean that your FC was 0 and that would be a BAD thing!

Make sense??

BTW -- the test kit will give you the ability to get FC, CC and TC readings with none of the little tablets. It will be a lot easier to use and read.

Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    You WANT FC and TC to be the same and in a well maintained pool, they typically are because that would mean that your CC would be 0. But, that is not what you wrote in your post above which I quoted. In that one, you wrote that TC and CC as being the same. Big difference. If your TC and CC are the same, it would mean that your FC was 0 and that would be a BAD thing!

Make sense??

BTW -- the test kit will give you the ability to get FC, CC and TC readings with none of the little tablets. It will be a lot easier to use and read.

Mom
    Nothing makes sense to the BTDG when it comes to swimming pools. Sorry for the confusion. However, the instructions in the lid of the test kit do infact refer to Total Chlorine and Combined Chlorine back and forth as the same thing.

+ Reply to Thread