+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Absorbic Acid...How much?

Default Absorbic Acid...How much?

As soon as we open our pool, I am planning on using the acid to remove the stains on our liner. How much of it do I need for my 27' AG (48" deep) pool?

Also, If I remember right, I also need to use some Metal Out afterwards. Am I correct?

This is the Absorbic Acid (Vitamin C) I will be getting...http://www.chemistrystore.com/Ascorbic_Acid.htm
    27ft. Round AG Pool

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: Absorbic Acid...How much?

Yes, it is most important that you put in some kind of sequestering agent (metal out). You won't need more than the 2 lbs. I would start with one lb, and let the water circulate for about an hour. If the stain isn't gone, then you can add more. Put in the sequestering agent in at the same time. Have you looked under the cover yet? I am just saying that because one year I closed my pool with stains, and opened it to find it stain free! If you have any more questions, please ask.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I have only looked through the skimmer with a flashlight to see if my water was still clear (it was) I could not tell about the stains.

We plan to remove the cover this weekend if I get my Absorbic in by then.
    27ft. Round AG Pool

Pool is now filling but I plan on keeping the cover on it until I get the acid/metal out done. I have 2 pounds of the Absorbic acid on its way, I should have it Friday.

If I dose the acid Friday evening, how long should I wait before adding the Metal Out?

How much can I expect this to affect my pH?

I had my fill water sampled for metals today & found both copper & iron in my tap water. Looks like the Metal Out might have to be a weekly thing!
    27ft. Round AG Pool

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

It will bring your ph way down. After a day you can start to bring your ph up, but don't take it any higher than 7.2 for a couple of days. You can add the ascorbic acid, let it circulate for about 40 minutes, then add the metal out - make sure you use enough metal out - and always do the maintenance dose. Metal out won't hurt anything, but if it isn't in there and you get your chlorine high, any metal in your water that isn't binded with metal out will precipitate out onto the pool surface. When you add your fill water, put your hose in the skimmer. Keep up with your chlorine demand so you don't have combined chlorine, and then you won't have to shock. Keep your filter running for 48 hours, don't backwash, and whatever you do, don't shock for at least 2 weeks! Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Good luck, this should work!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Will it hurt for my pH to get too low? How long before it will hurt?

I really appreciate the help!
    27ft. Round AG Pool

I'm not sure with a vinyl liner, but I wouldn't let it go too long. That's why I always start to bring it up the next day - if all the stains are gone. It will take a while for it to stabalize, so you have to test it a lot. Check your Alk too, you have to get them both in balance so they become stable. Use baking soda if the alkalilnity is low, and use borax if just the ph is low.
    Northeast PA

Angry Re: Absorbic Acid...How much?

I had Yellow Mustard Alage. The pool store reccommended Yellow Stuff, by Jacks Magic. My water is crystal clear, but there was yellow stain blotches around the bottom of the liner. My pool is 12' X 20", 8,200 gallons. I then went back and they reccommended that I use EZ-Clor - Metal Magnet- $16.99 for a quart. They reccommended I use the quart in my pool. I did and then they reccommended I use 2 pounds of Pool Stain Treat - United Chemicals - Abscorbic Acid. Mix 4 gallons water to 1 pound Abscorbic Acid, shut down pump and pour mixture into pool where the stains are. I did and nothing happened. I was told that the mixture would sink down to the bottom and remove the yellowinsh stains. It did not work. I still have the stains and I have spent over $80 dollars and I still have the stains.

Confused by bad advice.

P.S. Is this problem fixable? I have gotten into the pool and scrubbed the stains with a brush with no help. My wife and kids refuse to get into the pool untill I get rid of the stains.

Drop some vitamin C tablets into your pool & let them sit. If it removes some of the stain then the absorbic acid should work. If not, the acid will not work & you have some stains other than metal.
    27ft. Round AG Pool

Thumbs up Re: Absorbic Acid...How much?

I ran the test again with the Abscorbic Acid. This time I shut the pump down for several hours and made sure that the water was completely still. I mixed 1 pound of Abscorbic Acid with 4 gallons water and mixed solution well. I gently poured solution over the stains and the stains started to come clean.

I have an 8,200 gallon pool. I need more Abscorbic Acid. Does anyone know a wholesaler that sells this stuff cheap? I paid $10 per pound at the pool store.

Thanks,

TheNewPoolGuy

+ Reply to Thread