+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: With your help.. we are going from mess to success!

Default With your help.. we are going from mess to success!

Ok.. let me start by saying that although I am new to posting, I've been "lurking" for quite some time. We were actually considering getting rid of our pool this year, because last year it was such a mess, we never got it clean enough to swim in. Not to mention the hundreds of dollars we spent on the chemicals, etc..

So.. #1, I'd love to say thank you! After reading and re-reading post after post, I've discovered that the BBB method is the best for us. All the chemicals at the pool store are too expensive and most unneeded it seems.. so

So far you guys have helped me take the pool down from pea soup to to a greenish tinted blueish color. So.. let me make extra sure I'm doing this right... I'm in the shocking process. Here are our stats

Above ground Pool w/vinyl liner
    Sand filter
    12,000 gallons (give or take since we're experiencing a nice rain streak)

Free Available Chlorine 3.0
    Total Chlorine 15
    Combined Chlorine 0.8
    TA 109
    PH 7.0
    Calcium Hardness 25 (Pool store guy wanted me to add 24lbs of Poolife calcium plus)
    Cyanuric Acid 30
    Copper 0
    Iron 0
    Total Dissolved Solids(??) 900
    Saturation Index (???) -1.44 (corrosive)

Ok.. that being said.. The shock level has been holding since yesterday afternoon. This afternoon the Free Chlorine was there (wasn't before).

Do I need to go ahead and bring up the PH with Borax while shocking or wait until the pool is clear? There is definitely a big improvement from yesterday to today when we switched to the BBB.. HUGE difference actually. We couldn't see but like the top inch yesterday.. today, I can see the brush on the bottom!! We've been testing and brushing a few times a day...

Anything else I should be doing???

Once again.. THANK YOU so much for all the helpful info!! The information here is so much better than any pool place or any other site!!

Shelley

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: With your help.. we are going from mess to success!

Welcome to our forum! Sounds like you have been doing your homework and reading. There is so much good information on the forum and if you follow it, your pool is gonna look great!

First off, your chlorine numbers aren't quite right. FC + CC = TC. So, assuming that those are the numbers that your pool store gave you (and you didn't just make typos when you posted) that should be your first clue that perhaps the pool store may not really know their stuff. Please verify that those are the correct numbers.

Secondly, go ahead and add some Borax. You are ok with the pH at 7.0 but just barely. I'd feel better if you could at least get it to 7.2. Anywhere from 7.2-7.8 is ok but actually chlorine works a little better if your pH is on the low side of normal. You can go ahead and work on the pH at the same time as your chlorine. Won't hurt a thing.

I hope you didn't buy the calcium plus. Your vinyl pool doesn't need it. Take it back if you bought it. Also don't worry about the saturation index reading or total dissolved solids reading.

For a cya of 30, you need to shock up to 15 and try and keep it there. As you have read, testing at least 2 (and more is better) times per day and each time adding enough bleach to get back to shock level. For your pool, each quart of bleach will raise your cl level by a little over 1 ppm. Run the pump 24/7 while you are trying to clear the pool.

Keep us posted as to how it is going for you and if you have any more questions, ask away. We are glad to help!

Whoopsie.. yeah.. typo

Free Available 3.0
    Total 3.8
    Combined 0.8

I meant to say I had JUST got it up to shock level at 15. Been maintaining that level for 24 hours now.

Added Borax and the Ph is now 7.3

And no.. after reading the forum for a few months now, I knew not to buy the calcium plus Even mentioned to the guys that Vinyl pools don't need it right in front of another above ground pool customer they were trying to sell it to and gave them the name of this site. They also didn't buy the calcium plus. They thanked me.. I told them wasn't me.. was you guys and to come thank you all Also was able to give them a TINY bit of knowledge about the BBB method and they were surprised with the difference in cost.

This really is a great place for tips and help!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Day 3 and the pool was cloudy... added 8 ounces of flocculent this morning and just came in from vacuuming up a brown bottom. Pool is clearing nicely and still maintaining the shock level without much help at all..

Am having a little trouble getting the PH to stay up and the alkalinity, but am working on that...

I think we'll have a nice clear pool tomorrow with a few more brown spots, but so far looking good.

From what I've read.. I should maintain the shock level for at least 2-3 days after the algae appears to all be dead, correct? So if I have a clear pool tomorrow evening.. that would mean I could start bringing the chlorine level back down around Monday?

Also.. with the Available Chlorine... my numbers are low now.. is that gonna be a worry later?

Thanks again so much for everything!! I'm looking forward to loving my pool again!

Ok.. right now we are at:

FC: 2.2
    TC: 17.5
    PH: 6.8
    TA: 120
    CYA: 30

Water is clear, but a bit cloudy. I was able to vacuum again this morning (more dead algae). Now.. how long will it take chlorine levels to come down? Also, do I need to bring the level down before I let the pump rest overnight to let the debris settle to the bottom for vacuuming? Working on the PH, but can't seem to get it up there... not sure what's going on with that.. will add more Borax later this evening and see if that'll do the trick..

Anything else I might be missing?

FC + CC = TC. So, something isn't right with your chlorine readings. And I know you can't possibly have a CC reading of 15.3. Try those tests again.

Keep adding the Borax. Most kits won't register a pH reading below 6.8 so if you get a reading of 6.8 it could be MUCH lower than that in reality. PH below 7.0 is acidic and can damage your pool so it is CRITICAL that you get that pH up ASAP! Go ahead and add 3/4 of a box of Borax at a time until the pH starts to move and then go with smaller additions. After you add some, wait about 2-3 hours and then retest and redose. Don't put this off or you could damage your pool. Do it ASAP. (Meaning --- now, not this evening!)

Free Chlorine reading now is 2.3
    Chlorine (misprinted earlier) is still at 17
    PH is up to 7.4 !!! 3/4 box did it perfectly!!
    CYA is still at 30
    TA is still 120

So.. with that said (sorry about the boo boo before).. Do we have to wait patiently on the chlorine to lower? We haven't added any Clorox today at all.. last time we added was yesterday at 5pm.. and the reading is still holding..

I'll have to add some water tonight so I can vacuum tomorrow, which I know will mess with the levels some, and I will adjust accordingly.. Just wondering about the shock level and waiting for it to come down now...

Thank you for your help!

Glad you got your pH up. 7.4 is a good level. TA is also ok. I still think there is a problem with your chlorine numbers. What type of test kit are you using? Can you explain the procedure you are using to get the cl readings? Something is not right or else you have a big problem on your hands if your CC reading really is that high! (Remember FC + CC = TC so if your numbers are right, then you have a CC reading of nearly 15 which is NOT a good thing!! I'm really hoping it is a testing error!

+ Reply to Thread