+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In Between Coping Stones

Default In Between Coping Stones

I have an in ground gunite pool and live in a freeze/thaw area. A few years ago I repalced the coping stones, tiles and decking. I used thin set polmer modifed mortor to set the coping stones which were large rough tumble stone pavers. I left about 1/2 inch space between the coping stones. I was told I should use the the same tile grout between the coping stones as I used for the pool tiles. I did this for about 1/3 of the stones than ran out of time and left it for about two years (other projects came up) Well it doesn't look that great and I noticed many of coping grout joints are cracking. I want to finish off the remaining coping joints and re-do the one's I started.

Any advice what I can or should use? Any tips on how to? I'm a DIYer, and can tackle any job with good direction.

I aslo used the same tile grout where the tile line meets the coping. Its giving way and falling into the pool in pieces. The space is about 1/2 inch aswell. The grout is a pale dirty white. Any suggestions what to use here?

Thanks,

Les

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: In Between Coping Stones

Les,

Your problem is that you are asking a question hardly anyone could answer.

The person you are looking for is an experienced, honest, and competent concrete pool builder who works in an area with significant freezing, who's computer literate, but who is not so busy that they can't even think about participating in a pool forum.

In other words, you are looking for someone who probably doesn't even exist!

Most concrete pools are built in Florida or California (no freezing), or are commercial pools (no coping in the last 25 years).

I've done a tiny amount of work with coping . . . but it's always been one-off work that's *seemed* to work, but I didn't check back after 5 years, either. So, I don't know either.

And, all my regular mods (Watermom, Poconos, CarlD, Aylad) have vinyl pools, as do most of the regular posters. Chem Geek has a concrete pool . . . in California, where it doesn't freeze.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anywhere you can go online, ask your question, and be confident of getting a good answer. I suspect your best bet is to hire a local mason with outdoor tile (not necessarily pool tile) experience to figure it out and get you started.

Ben

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    And, all my regular mods (Watermom, Poconos, CarlD, Aylad .......

Ben
    (As opposed to his IRREGULAR MODS?)

Wait ............. Isn't Poconos the irregular mod?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I understand that yogurt and fiber help with that!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread