+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy, then green with a never ending chlorine demand

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cloudy, then green with a never ending chlorine demand

What is your pool volume? How did you add your cya and if you added it to your skimmer to dissolve in the filter, have you backwashed any?

It may be that it just hasn't dissolved yet. It takes a long time. Or it may be that their result is inaccurate. CYA readings seem to be one that pool stores often get wrong.

Is the pool looking better? Keep at it. You're doing the right things.

Pool volume is about 33,000 gallons. Added CYA to the skimmer and have not backwashed, did that the day before adding it. I know they often do things wrong, but this store is fairly good. The setup is they have a testtube that is sealed from the factory for each test. They then pipet the water in and insert the tube in a colorimeter - so no highschool dropout is trying to read colors - its all machine read. So, I will go with your guess that it is not fully dissolved yet.

The pool is looking much better. It is mostly clear in the shallow end and only slightly green tinted in the deep. But the rate of improvement has dropped. There is no slipperyness on the wall or floor.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Keep hammering it with bleach. It will clear!

BTW --- I just checked and 4 lbs. of cya in a 33,000 gallon pool should take it up to about 15 ppm, not 30. So, your pool store's reading is probably right. But, if it were my pool, I'd still wait a few days before deciding to add more.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I don't care how sophisticated their equipment may seem, but most pool stores test inaccurately, especially for the CYA test. I don't know whether it's training, lack of calibration, use of old reagents, or what, but you should use you own good Taylor K-2006 test kit for doing water chemistry tests. Nevertheless, they could be right about this one if the CYA didn't fully dissolve.

It can take several days to a week for the CYA to show up in the tests, depending on how quickly the CYA dissolves. It is slow to dissolve -- the fastest method has pure CYA hang in a sock or stocking over a return flow. Next best is in a skimmer sock or equivalent in the skimmer (careful -- you have to have alternate flow to the pump so you don't crack your skimmer). If you just add the pure CYA directly to the skimmer to get caught in the filter, then you should not backwash for a week and it will be slower to dissolve since the rate of water flow is quite slow when dispersed in the filter.

There is a liquid CYA called Instant Pool Water Conditioner that dilutes into the water right away, but it's about twice as expensive as pure CYA, though it also has the benefit of being roughly pH neutral.

Thanks ChemGeek, maybe it just hung up in the filter. Its been another bunch of days and the pool is basically the same. The shallow end looks great but the deep end has a slight green tint. I got really pissed off last night and added three bags of shock to it. Just looked out my window and there is no visible change - will go out in a little while and take some readings.

Is it possible whatever is green is too small to be taken out by my DE filter? Alternatey is it possible that whatever it is might be in the filter and I could get rid of it by backwashing and flushing it out of the system?

==================================EDIT============ ========

Just went out and measured. FC and TC as measured by my kit that uses three reagents that turn the water purple was about 4 each. Just for (****s-and-giggles) I tried it with my old kit that just uses the one reagent that turns the water yellow and it shows up as 10ppm or higher. Now that makes no sense.

May order 180 yards of dirt today and just fill her in
    Last edited by cleancloths; 06-06-2010 at 09:12 AM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hate to see you getting so frustrated. There's almost nothing that normally happens to a pool and its water that the gang here cannot figure out.

You, though, need to keep at it, hammering it with chlorine and daily backwashing, brushing, and vacuuming to waste.

Since you are already up to your ears in it, I suggest you spend the $50-$75 on a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit. There are numerous references on PF for where to find the Taylor K-2006 kit inexpensively or you can go to the Leslies on-line web site and get their clone: The FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. It's the same as the Taylor but it's in a Leslies box.

FAS-DPD will give you a sounder reading on your FC and CC (you'll calculate TC = FC + CC).

It will be far cheaper than 180 yards of fill!

Remember: The most important ingredient you need is P.O.P.P.--Pool Owner Patience and Persistence!
    Carl

Carl, I was just joking about the dirt. I was able to really get this under control in three or four days. Its just the slight green tint in the deep end that I am having trouble getting rid of. A casual observer might not even notice the slight tint, but I do.

I question the issue of vacuuming and brushing as there is nothing on the walls, no slipperiness on the floor or anything like that. I have had my blue pearl in there a couple of times, but the bag really comes out fairly clean. Its almost as if someone just added some green dye to the water

The test kit I am using I think is an HTH one that I had picked up at Walmart. It uses DPD1 DPD2 and DPD3. You add 5 drops of #1 and #2 to get FC and then add 5 drops of #3 to get TC.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Hate to see you getting so frustrated. There's almost nothing that normally happens to a pool and its water that the gang here cannot figure out.

You, though, need to keep at it, hammering it with chlorine and daily backwashing, brushing, and vacuuming to waste.

Since you are already up to your ears in it, I suggest you spend the $50-$75 on a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit. There are numerous references on PF for where to find the Taylor K-2006 kit inexpensively or you can go to the Leslies on-line web site and get their clone: The FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. It's the same as the Taylor but it's in a Leslies box.

FAS-DPD will give you a sounder reading on your FC and CC (you'll calculate TC = FC + CC).

It will be far cheaper than 180 yards of fill!

Remember: The most important ingredient you need is P.O.P.P.--Pool Owner Patience and Persistence!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Vacuuming and brushing are simply part of the SOP for fighting algae. If the algae isn't clinging to the walls, and not precipitating on the bottom, you don't need to do it.

Besides the Blue Pearl should do both the brushing and vacuuming for you.
    Carl

She is finally crystal clear and nice and blue

Yay!!! I hope some of these other people who are currently in the "never-ending chlorine demand and cloudy pool" stage see your post and will gain reassurance that their pool is gonna sparkle, too! Patience, consistency and lots of bleach are what you need. Congrats! Now, enjoy that pool!

+ Reply to Thread