+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Switching from Chlorine to Salt

Default Switching from Chlorine to Salt

Hello, All ~
    Thanks to everyone who has posted answers to my questions in the Chlorine and water chemistry forum. We are new pool owners of a 15,000 gal, concrete, IG, fully screened, solar heated pool in Florida. We have a chlorine pool at this time and are considering switching to salt. My questions are:
    1. Are there different kinds of salt generators? One better than others?
    2. Have you switched from Chlorine to salt? What was the process?

I have not done a lot of research because I figured I would start here to narrow things down first! This is a great place to start with wonderful information. Thanks so much in advance.
    Best,
    Kelly

Pool Master Guest

Default Re: Switching from Chlorine to Salt

Your pool will be a "Chlorine pool" even if you decide to get a salt generator. A salt generator converts salt into chlorine. You could buy A LOT of chlorine for the price of the generator alone. Then figure in the cost of installation and you could have enough money invested that you could have paid for a top notch service for a couple of years or do it yourself and save even more. You also have to remember that the salt cost money and is close to the same amount if not more than using chlorine. I would never recommend a salt generator mainly because now you swim in salt water (YUK) which you can taste and feel on your skin. And it is NOT cost effective at all. My advice is spend some money on a big DE filter and have the best water around!

my answers to your questions.....

1. Yes there are different generators and I am sure there are some that last longer than others or some that outperform others. But, they are all expensive and they all break at some point.

2. I have seen a few switch to salt generators. They spent big money buying the equipment and having it installed. Then when they broke they either paid big money AGAIN or went back to the right way of doing the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Master View Post
    Your pool will be a "Chlorine pool" even if you decide to get a salt generator. A salt generator converts salt into chlorine. You could buy A LOT of chlorine for the price of the generator alone. Then figure in the cost of installation and you could have enough money invested that you could have paid for a top notch service for a couple of years or do it yourself and save even more. You also have to remember that the salt cost money and is close to the same amount if not more than using chlorine. I would never recommend a salt generator mainly because now you swim in salt water (YUK) which you can taste and feel on your skin. And it is NOT cost effective at all. My advice is spend some money on a big DE filter and have the best water around!

my answers to your questions.....

1. Yes there are different generators and I am sure there are some that last longer than others or some that outperform others. But, they are all expensive and they all break at some point.

2. I have seen a few switch to salt generators. They spent big money buying the equipment and having it installed. Then when they broke they either paid big money AGAIN or went back to the right way of doing the pool.
    "the right way of doing the pool"? Wow, if Chlorine was oil, you sound like Exxon.

Once you swim in a salt water pool, you will wish you switched the first day you got the pool.

Thanks Torontonian...well said.

Pool Master, are you in the pool service industry by any chance?

First, most do not taste the salinity in the water. AND BY NO MEANS IS IT SEA WATER concentration (as implied by your "YUK" response). Most will comment that the salt water feels better on their skin than a non salted pool. Although some will also say that they don't feel a difference.

There are different types of systems, depending on if you're looking for basic salt chlorinators, inbetween, or bells and whistles (automation with regards to your chlorine and pH levels; pump control; remote interface, etc).
    Then you have several model cells to choose from, within each manufacturer's offerings. The larger the cell, the more chlorine you can produce and the longer the cell will last. There is a cost with replacement cells when they wear out. Typically this is around 10,000 hours of operation. For So Florida and our 12 month seasons, this is about 3-5 years...I live in Coral Springs, FL.

Other than the initial cost of the system, your ongoing cost is very inexpensive. Replenish the salt and stabilizer when levels drop, which would be due to water loss from bather splashout, bathing suit dragout, filter backwashing (if you have a DE or Sand filter), rain fall overflow, and leaks. On a residential pool, this may be 2 -3 bags a year of salt. A bag of salt is anywhere from $5 - $10.

What's needed to convert your chlorine pool? Add the salt clorine generator equipment and salt directly into the pool. Depending on what your current salt level is (which may already have salt from bleach (sodium hypochlorite) usage. If your pool is new, or freshly refilled water, 50 lbs/2000 gallons gets you to 3000 ppm. This is the typical salt level for most systems offered in the US. Imported Australian systems run a bit higher in salinity.
    You will still need to test your chlorine and pH levels, and adjust them as needed.

As stated, using a salt chlorine generator does not make your pool a salt pool, or a chlorine free pool. You're simply making your own chlorine, on site, and eliminating the need to have to run to the store to pick up chemicals week after week. It also creates a big convenience factor to maintaining your pool, giving you more time to enjoy it.

I DO WORK FOR AUTOPILOT CHLORINE GENERATOR SYSTEMS, www.autopilot.com, so you can take my response with a "grain of salt" as a salt industry rep.
    Hope I've been unbiased.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

I switched to a SWG a few years ago and love it. The "conversion" is simply installing the SWG and adding salt, done. I can even use bleach and turn off the SWG any time I want, and I do that when opening in the spring and when shocking the pool (which isn't often). Other than using the SWG to produce chlorine, I'm BBB all the way.

I've done comparisons of the total costs of the SWG vs bleach and they all come out more or less even. Depending on what you count as part of the SWG expenses, and what you don't count, it can go either way. Having a SWG is way less work and it makes going away for the weekend much simpler. I'd be willing to pay more for that, but I don't have to.
    -- Trouble Free Pool website administrator --
    ------ note added by PoolForum staff -------

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

PoolMaster:

You are entitled to your opinions but please do not state them as facts. You may wish to argue these points in "The China Shop"--that's what it's there for.

I have done the same arithmetic as you regarding the cost of installing an SWG system and came to a similar conclusion: That I could not justify the cost of the system.

HOWEVER, many, many of our members have them and love them and, for them, the CONVENIENCE is well-worth the cost. Nor have they complained about the salt in the water creating any problem. Your statement about that is simply inaccurate. Correct salt levels for SWGs do not create a salty taste or leave you feeling briny the way sea water does.

Since Salt Water Generators generate chlorine they are well within what we, at Pool Forum, consider "the right way of doing the pool". I would never state that using an SWG is "wrong" or a "bad" way to maintain a pool. There is nothing about an SWG that is incompatible with our philosophy expressed as the B-B-B method of pool maintenance.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I will grant that the upfront costs of installing a swg are high but the ease of maintenance once installed is priceless. My pool practically takes care of itself. The trick is a GOOD test kit and PROPER water balance. For a SWG I have found that keeping the salt at recommended level or slightly above, CYA at MAXIMUM recommended level (usually 80 or 100 ppm), FC at 3-5 ppm, pH at 7.6 (and not lower!), uncorrected TA at 60-80 ppm, CH 300-350 (for plaster and fiberglass, not an issue for vinyl as long as it's at least 100- 150), and finally, adding borates to 30-50 ppm makes for a very stable and easily maintained pool. I have used these numbers in my own pool and in the pools of my customers (when I was working in the industry) with great success. There are posts in the China Shop (and on some other forums that I can no longer support) that document and support these findings.

Hope this helps.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean View Post
    I DO WORK FOR AUTOPILOT CHLORINE GENERATOR SYSTEMS, www.autopilot.com, so you can take my response with a "grain of salt" as a salt industry rep.
    Hope I've been unbiased.
    Sean,

As usual you have been completely unbiased, IMHO!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Evan,
    Glad to see you around. I was mentioning you just the other day wondering where you wuz!
    [HIJACK}
    Just been busy with work and school. Haven't had time to breath this year, it seemed. Summer vacation starts in a week!

(We now return to your regularly scheduled thread)
    [/HIJACK]

+ Reply to Thread