+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jacuzzi pump leaking at motor

Hybrid View

Default Jacuzzi pump leaking at motor

I have a Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump that appears to be leaking where the pump and motor meet. There is a collar connection there and the collar has a yellow tab that can be removed-I do not know what that is for. Is there an o-ring in that collar that perhaps needs replacing? I don't want to play around with it totally unaware of how it works. It loses prime when it is off but is self priming and that works but I don't trust that and don't want my motor burning out. Any advice welcome!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Jacuzzi pump leaking at motor

I saw your post a while back and found a poor exploded parts view. Didn't make sense so I didn't reply. Found this one now

http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-359...ent-parts.aspx

and there is an O-ring behind that ring. Thought there had to be. That could definitely be your problem but first, can you tighten that collar? May be enough. Hayward pumps use 4 bolts between the motor and pump housing and every spring I need to torque mine to stop a dribble. I have no idea what that yellow tab is.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

I have this same exact problem but I'm affraid to even try to take mine apart b/c a few different 'pool guys' have told me that since parts for the Jacuzzi pumps are so hard to come by (or expensive) that I may take mine apart and not be able to put it back together 100%. I've been told to not mind the leak and simply let the motor run it's course until it's time to replace everything.

This creates a dilema for me. On one hand, I have a pretty loud/noisy pump motor situation that can probably easily be fixed by replacing it with a new motor for maybe under $200. On the other hand, if I buy a new motor and put it on only to find out that there are other problems with the pump, then I've wasted the money on the new motor and I have to spend a lot of money for hard to get parts, or I'll just have to get a whole new pump/motor set. It's very frustrating b/c I'm very new to all this stuff and I don't know enough about pump motors to feel comfortable enough to just start taking things apart not knowing what I'm going to find inside or if I'll even be able to get it all back together.

I realize that's not an answer to the original post/question but I just thought I'd share what I've been told and my personal experience with this same problem.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

NiceGuy, welcome to the forum.

On the parts issue there are normally only two things that could make noise. The water pressure seal and the motor bearings. the pressure seal may be one of those hard to find parts for that pump, don't know for sure. Bearings are another issue. If you can't easily find the bearings for that motor there are a couple good sources for bearings but you would have to pull the old ones and measure them to find a match. If they are really rusted in place then you probably would destroy other things trying to remove the old ones. If you want to pursue this let us know.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    NiceGuy, welcome to the forum.

On the parts issue there are normally only two things that could make noise. The water pressure seal and the motor bearings. the pressure seal may be one of those hard to find parts for that pump, don't know for sure. Bearings are another issue. If you can't easily find the bearings for that motor there are a couple good sources for bearings but you would have to pull the old ones and measure them to find a match. If they are really rusted in place then you probably would destroy other things trying to remove the old ones. If you want to pursue this let us know.
    Al
    Thank you very much for your reply. Is the 'water pressure seal' that you mentioned also called a 'shaft seal'? The reason I ask is b/c I see some pool supply websites sell these things called "Go-Kits" that contain some parts that typically need to be replaced when changing a pump motor. On one website I found that sells the same motor I need, they sell a 'Go-Kit' that includes: Shaft Seal, Housing Gasket, Diffuser Gasket, Lid O-Ring, and Lubricant. Do you think that I would be good to go with this 'go kit'?

+ Reply to Thread