+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steel sided inground pool with rust issues

Default Steel sided inground pool with rust issues

I've got rust in the skimmers and quite a bit on the seams and around the top, localized in those areas.
    I'm wondering if there's a proven fix or procedure, for issues like this. I know it's a big job.

see the photos:
    http://www.iiscorp.biz/PoolPics/Pool_Pics.html

~~~~~~~~~
    My tentative plan is to strip the paint off the sides, with stripping chemicals and spackle spachula stripper.

Then grind and scrape all the rust off possible ( jeez - this could eat thru the seams )

Then treat with naval jelly, even though I hope I won't have or see any more rust.

Then prime it, and paint it with marine paint. ( this alone might be $2000+)

~~~~~~~~~

I don't have experience with any of these steps, except for when I tried something like this last year.
    I think my approach was a little light, and I just had a grinding stone and then used Naval.Jelly, then a Rustoleum paint product.
    The rust came back and the paint chipped.

So I'm looking to do it the 'Right' way this year

Nagging Questions:
    Is a sand-blaster necessary, or are there good alternatives ? localized work with grinders, sandblasters, etc.
    Do I need to completely paint the sides, starting from bare metal, or can I leave the solid paint on and paint over it ?
    How can I cover or rebuild rusted skimmers ?
    Should I consider other alternatives: a liner, inner concrete wall or others ?

Suggestions, references, links, or a procudure/guide I can follow, are all welcome
    TIA ( Thanks in Advance )

Default Re: Steel sided inground pool with rust issues

~~~~ Part2 ~~~~

I also notice that the skimmers are quite rusty.
    They are mounted in the concrete siding and basically are 2 metal boxes, painted and welded together.
    One box goes horizontally from the main pool to the cavity. And the other goes vertical from deck surface down to the line. Jeez, I got a quote from a pool contractor, and of course the delay, and then the price: $1500/skimmer x 2.

I realize these guys have once a year to make their $$$, but With all my issues, did I really need to be gouged ?
    I'm guessing a DIY fix would be
    -build new boxes and paint, -install them and weld them together, -paint the seams and ensure good fit **you're done**

I note the horizontal metal chamber that comes out to the pool, has a flange that covers over it, and is bolted into the side of the pool. OK? bolted into the steel side, I guess.

The other issue, I'm wondering about is, How the bottom of the steel side and the concrete bottom, were attached together to make water tight ? What bond could have been used ? I don't think I'd trust a water-tight seal to a seal of primer and paint. I maybe resurfacing the steel area near the bottom, and it's quite possible I will need to reseal it.

Other nagging issues:
    To remove all the paint from the sides, or just what will come off easily (the coat put on last year) ?

How much of the steel plate could be rusted from the back / outside in. Can't tell the thickness, but I do notice the steel has a raised border around the edge, that seems to be 1/4"

In a few spots the steel plate has separated from the concrete, and I probably need a filler compound to keep the backside of the steel protected.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Steel sided inground pool with rust issues

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to be following this thread because I may be faced with a similar situation with a 40 year old Foxxx pool. Unfortunately I can't help on this issue but I'm sure someone can.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread