+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Testing for Metals...

sturev is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sturev 0

Default Testing for Metals...

Any recommendations for test kits and/or figuring out if metals are present?

I have tiny round hard brown/rust colored bumps in some areas of my pool (only on the bottom near the corners). They won't brush off and when I take my finger nail to them they'll come off and it's black 'powder' and/or residue that's underneath. I have to really rub hard to get the dark/black circle off the vinyl. There's not a ton of them, but I'd say I have about 100 bumps. I have no clue what it is...

The water is clear, levels are ok (waiting on my Taylor test kit to arrive to provide good numbers), I know my TA is way high (only had strips and it was off the chart). Also, there's no CYA, but my pool is covered and chlorine level is between 3 & 5.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,

Evan

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Testing for Metals...

Probably the easiest way to test for metals is to take your water to the pool store to have it tested. Most of them will do it for free. Be prepared to resist the long list of "stuff" they're going to tell you that you need, though, unless you DO have metals, in which case you need to get a sequestrant (Metal Magic, Jack's Magic, etc). Usually if metals is the problem, it just creates a stain, though, not bumps. What is the source of your fill water? If it's not well water, then chances are pretty good that' you're metal-free, unless you've added it in the form of algaecides or other chems.

Janet

sturev is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sturev 0

Thanks Janet... yes, it's well water. I guess I'll have to deal with the pool store

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Only for the test and for the metal sequestrant--we can do the rest from the grocery store!

Janet

Keep in mind that if metal stains are laid down, they may no longer be at testable levels (that is, they are on the pool surface and no longer in the water.)
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

+ Reply to Thread