+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AG Pool vacs?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default AG Pool vacs?

I have a Polaris 65 above ground pool vacuum. I rarely use it as I can vacuum manually and do a much better job. The Polaris 65 jets around the top of the pool in a random pattern with a hose with attached net bag hanging down from the underneath side of the unit. As it jets around, it swooshes past debris on the bottom of the pool and a stream of water shooting out from the hose forces debris in the bag.

It does do a pretty good job of picking up big stuff -- leaves, helicopters from my maple trees, crab apples from my tree, etc. But, it does NOT do a good job picking up dust/dirt -- even with some cotton balls thrown in the bag as is usually suggested. As it swooshes around, it stirs the dirt up into suspension so some of it does get filtered out, but most of it falls back to the floor. I typically only use this thing once or twice a year, usually in the spring when all the stuff from the trees in getting in the pool and maybe once in the fall when the leaves start to fall before I get the pool covered.

I know that there are more options for above ground pool cleaners now than there were when I bought the Polaris 65 years ago. Some of the ones available now are suction side cleaners which "walk"across the floor. What I would like to know is if any of you have used Hayward's AquaBug, Diver Dave or Wanda the Whale Above Ground pool cleaners. And, if so, do they do a very good job of picking up dirt/dust or do they just disturb it and get it into suspension. Or, if you use something different that is similar, please tell me about that.

I appreciate any feedback or reviews that anyone can provide. Thanks in advance for any replies.

EDIT -- One thing I want to make sure of is that this thing does not damage the vinyl. From what I have read in the reviews at Amazon, the suction is quite powerful.
    Last edited by Watermom; 05-24-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Default Re: AG Pool vacs?

I use a Baracuda Ranger and I really like it but I have nothing else to compare it to. It is very quick to set up and and it runs through my skimmer box.
    My only real complaint is it gets stuck on my ladder sometimes despite having an attachment that is suppose to prevent this from happening.

I actually have and use a Wanda the Whale for about 3 or 4 years now. It actually works pretty good in removing small leaves, dirt, sediment etc. from the bottom of the pool. If you try to use it on a neglected pool that has turned green, Wanda doesn't do an exceptional job sucking up the algae because the travel pattern is completely and totally random. The hose tends to keep pulling Wanda back towards the skimmer where the hose is attached and there-by misses a lot of the area furthest away from the skimmer. Vacuuming is definetly better. But if you don't have time to vacuum and are running the filter anyway, it is a reasonable alternative. If the pool is choked with leaves, Wanda is virtually useless as the suction hole on the bottom is small and will clog up fast.

The hose segments do tend to curl up, and I have had to replace a number of the hose segments because the plastic will tear right at the connector. I historically will run Wanda about every 3rd day and the skimmer on the other two. I did buy the large in-line Leaf Basket to keep the debris out of the pump.

Hope this Helps.

BTDG

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Son,

Me???? Have a "neglected pool that has turned green???" If anything, my pool is played with too much!

At any rate -- I don't need it for big stuff. Just the day to day dust/dirt. My Polaris 65 doesn't do a very good job with dust/dirt. 99% of the time, I just get in the pool and vacuum it manually and do a much better job than any automatic vac is gonna do. But, I just thought if the "Wanda the Whale" type things do a good job getting dirt off the floor, that I might just try one.

So, no problems with damage to the liner or anything like that with the suction?

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

Hi Mom,

Seems to me I spent $150 on Wanda a few years ago, and I would recommend it. Never had any problems with tearing liners or anything else. I did have a few bearings go out in it and had them replaced, and there are two "EARS" that had to be replaced last year.

For the price, I would say it does an admirable job compared to its pricey competators. When my pool turned green then cloudy, Wanda seemed to stir up more than it eliminated but I also blame some of that on the Sand filter not being able to catch it all and returning it back into the pool.

Just make sure you buy more hose than the diameter of the pool. I think I have 27-30 feet of hose in a 24 foot AG pool. If your pool is oblong, you may need more hose than what comes in the box.

BTDG

Thank you. I think I'm gonna give it a try. Gotta look around and find the place with the best price. Appreciate your input. Guess what? My pool finally hit 80 degrees today. Tomorrow should see it up to mid-80s with the help of my solar panel. Think I'm just gonna have to go swimmin' tomorrow!

By the way --- went ahead and ordered a Hayward Wanda the Whale. Found one at Amazon.com for $100 bucks plus about $12 shipping I think it was. I didn't spend a lot of time looking (and might have found it cheaper if I had looked longer) but Amazon's price was better than the places I did look. Plus, I have always had quick delivery when dealing with them. Supposed to be here middle of next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    By the way --- went ahead and ordered a Hayward Wanda the Whale. Found one at Amazon.com for $100 bucks plus about $12 shipping I think it was. I didn't spend a lot of time looking (and might have found it cheaper if I had looked longer) but Amazon's price was better than the places I did look. Plus, I have always had quick delivery when dealing with them. Supposed to be here middle of next week.
    Hi Mom, did you get Wanda yet? Post back and let us know. $100 is a very good price.

I got Wanda yesterday. So far, she has had only one maiden voyage (swim?) yesterday evening and seemed to be doing well, but it got dark soon after so I couldn't get a real good feel yet for how well she was gonna do. Seemed to be picking up the dirt which is what I need. (Not big stuff.)

My only concern --- when it arrived, it was packaged in the box from Hayward but the seal had been broken. I thought, uh-oh. Somebody bought this and sent it back for some reason. Pondered for a minute whether I should just send it back or what to do. Went ahead and opened the box. The seal on the inner box had also been opened. Pondered some more. Decided, might as well try it. If it doesn't seem to be working properly, I'll dry it off, and return it and tell them that it had been previously opened before I got it.

But, like I said, from the short maiden voyage last night, it *seems* ok but I'm gonna wait a bit before making the final call. (Also, my pool wasn't really dirty last night because I had vacuumed it the day before. I actually want to wait until it is actually dirty and throw her in and see how she does.)

I'll let you know in a few days.

I too have been burned by opened packages.

Wanda will occasionally tip over, especially if there are obstacles in the pool that get in her path. The hose segments will get to the point wherer they will curl and keep their shape, so I have now started to rotate them in the string and even will leave them on a hot pool deck or sidewalk in the sun to relax the plastic.

Good luck

BTDG

+ Reply to Thread