+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyway to not open the pool this summer?

Hybrid View

Default Anyway to not open the pool this summer?

Hi all,
    New member to the forum and have a question. I am currently working out of state and found out I will be here for at least another 6 months. I was wondering if there would be anyway I could get away with not opening my pool this summer? I just really don't have the time to return home to take care of it with my job. I have a 24' above ground pool that was closed in the fall last year with all the proper winterizing steps taken. It has a winter cover on it now, and I have already cleaned all the leaves and drained most of the water off the cover already. I live in Ohio if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance! Ryan

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Anyway to not open the pool this summer?

Welcome to the forum Ryan. Hope you keep checking in while you're gone.
    If you don't do anything it will definitely turn green. Probably deep dark green. This may be acceptable but keep the pH up. See comment below. First thing would be to get the equipment hooked up and functional so you can circulate. Next thing I would do is get the pump on a timer. If it's a 120 volt pump you can get a very decent Intermatic digital timer with battery backup at Home Depot for under $30. If it's a 240 volt pump then you're talking more $$ for a timer but still around $60 for the mechanical type I believe. If you can kick the water around for an hour a day or so that would help. Having someone come around every week or so to check the FC and pH would really help. To make it easier on this person stock up on several boxes of Borax and maybe a dozen big jugs of bleach. In any case it will take time to 'calibrate' what the pool wants to do in your absence. You don't want the pH to go acidic so before you leave bring it up to 8 or so. Some people may recommend using floaters and may have other ideas. The trees should be done dumping so there may be no concern about a skimmer basket filling and blocking. You may also want to put your filter on recirculate if you can so you don't need to be concerned about the pressure rising too high and requiring a backwash. You didn't say what kind of filter.
    If you can come home periodically, every few weeks or so, that would be nice. These are some of my initial thoughts. Let's see what you and others think.
    Al

Thanks for the detailed reply. My pump is a 120v unit with a sand filter. I could get everything all hooked up and setup with a timer to circulate the water. Would there be anyway to leave the winter cover on through out the summer. My backyard is terrible with the trees and anytime we get any type of wind everything seems to collect in the pool.... I have someone that can check on the pool while I am gone but I don't want to hassle them with having to get all the cleaning equipment out all the time.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Yes to leaving the cover on. My thinking is that would keep the temperature a little lower maybe, keep the debris out, and keep sunlight out which should help slow algae growth. Maybe every few weeks or so it may help to have your friend shock it.
    Al

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully it will work out with leaving the cover on. Alot of great information on this forum. Thanks again!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The only thing about shocking it with the cover on is that the fumes may damage the cover. If it is easy, maybe they can lift up a corner of the cover for awhile after shocking to let it vent and then recover it a day or two later? (Make sure you aren't expecting stormy weather at the time the corner is peeled back so the wind won't get under it and pull it off.)

One other thing, you might want to add some Polyquat 60% algaecide. It doesn't do too much for you if you already have algae, but it is a pretty good preventative.

+ Reply to Thread