+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyway to not open the pool this summer?

Default Re: Anyway to not open the pool this summer?

Forgot to also ask -

I have a DE Perflex system so I can't set to bypass. So, if I do open today here's a pH quandary I have:

I will test then add my box or two of Borax to get pH right before I start to shock - but I must add the DE powder to the system immediately so as not to damage the fingers of the filter. How long do you all think it would take for the pH to come up high enough before I can start bleaching the bejeesus out of it?
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Why do you need to bring the pH up first before starting to add bleach? Unless there is some issue with your DE filter (that I know nothing about), you can add Borax and bleach at the same time.

Really? That would be easier - I was basing it on Ben's sticky / item #2 for if pH is too low at opening: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=190

Thx!
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

That sticky deals specifically with calcium and alkalinity changes, not for chlorine. The only reason I could see to wait until your pH is all the way up into recommended ranges is that pH tends to measure falsely high when chlorine is above 10 ppm or so. So if your pH is a LITTLE low and you can safely get it into your target range with a small addition of Borax, then go ahead and do that, then start shocking with chlorine. However, if your pH is 6.8 or lower (and 6.8 is the lowest that most testers will read, so if it's reading 6.8, then it may actually be much lower) and you anticipate LOTS of Borax to be added, then I would play it safe and get the pH up where you want it before you start shocking.

Janet

Pamsel is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Pamsel 0

PBLsQuad450, am I understanding you correctly to say that you have gone through a season without opening your pool or treating it at all? Is the only real problem the fact that it will take a gazillion gallons of bleach to clear it when it's opened next year? We, too, are in a situation of considering not opening the pool this year and want to be sure we'll not cause any damage. I know it will be full of algae and will need a lot of bleach, but other than that, is there any risk of damage if left covered and untreated until next year?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450 View Post
    I am no mod, so they are giving you the best info. But... this is a losing proposition, PERIOD. Unless you have someone to MAINTAIN the pool, you are screwed. It is just like your house. I spent years as a state licensed inspector, and one of the most important things I learned, "there is nothing more damaging than vacancy!" You would be better off with meth-head tenants than vacancy. You will be able to fix the broken-ness when you come back, but IMO, plan on ZERO intervention. Deal later with 100+ gallons of bleach and maybe a little touch of silver? There isn't a way to have both, a clean pool and vacancy. Heck, just keep water in your gas traps! I don't mean to be bummer post guy, but IMO, you are having no choice, don't even think of keeping up, the stress isn't worth it, just know that the pond can be fixed. We did it. Addition and all kinds of things, got weird with frogs keeping us up all night, then nothing... Quiet. Dead quiet. Then we saw "Nessie." She (it?) was half the size of a man hole cover, a snapping turtle. Never heard a frog again.

Good luck! Vacancy is the toughest of all. But the green eco-friendly/bio-hazard just behind your house can be recovered, I promise! I have done it!

PL
    Pam, Illinois

"17'x33' oval 14.5K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward Pro Series, M-S-244T sand filter; A.O. Smith Centurian, Switchless, 1.40 HP pump; Right now 24/7hrs; Pool Solutions PS234
    Serial #6511, Drops / Powder; Community well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:8.3"

+ Reply to Thread