+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shocking a Bromine pool - can I use chlorine shock

Default Shocking a Bromine pool - can I use chlorine shock

When I bought my house the pool was set up with a bromine feeder and I inhereted a 50lb container of bromine so I continued to go with bromine. My cover fell in over the winter and I am having a lot trouble clearing the water. Non-chlorine shock is kind of pricey, can I use bleach in this pool for the purpose of start up and then continue with bromine and non chlorine shock for the rest of the season? Any info is greatly appreciated.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Shocking a Bromine pool - can I use chlorine shock

No,you cannot alternate. However, you CAN do a conversion from Bromine to Bleach. It takes a LOT of bleach and your pool will look like a septic tank for a few days, then it will clear. Do a search within PoolForum on converting from bromine to chlorine for the steps you'll need to follow--and FOLLOW THEM!

If you have a sand filter you will need to replace the sand at the end of the process--since sand is about $5-$7/50lbs these days that's not much. If you have DE, you'll need to clean the filter and add fresh DE. If you have a cartridge filter, you'll have to clean the cartridge thoroughly--electric dishwasher detergent is supposed be good for that.

I suggest,if it's available, that you buy the 5 gallon carboys of 12% Liquid Chlorine that's twice as strong as 6% ultra bleach. It's far more convenient for the amount you'll need.

Once the conversion is done, you'll NEVER look back!
    Carl

I was under the impression that in order to make a complete changeover to chlorine that I would have to change all the water. Bromine being so expensive compared to chlorine, if I convert the exhisting water, that's the new plan. Thanks for the advise!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

OK,

I'm hoping I haven't messed you up here. Bacquacil conversions are what I was thinking of. I'm not as certain of Bromine conversions.

Let's get some of the others experts to comment, like Poolsean, Waste, Chem_Geek and, of course, Ben.

Carl
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Yep, Carl was thinking of BaquaGoo. Unfortunately I don't know anything about bromine but my limited chemistry knowlege thinks you can just switch because Br and Cl are close in the periodic table and don't involve any other chemicals. ChemGeek will see this and chime in I'm sure.
    Al
    Edit: Don't do anything until you hear something more certain. What I said above is what I intuitavely think May also be totally wrong.
    Last edited by Poconos; 05-19-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks guys, I'll stand by before making any changes.........

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Yes, you can use chlorine to shock or reactivate bromide to bromine in a bromine pool. You do not have to use more expensive non-chlorine shock for this purpose. The chlorine will convert to chloride salt when it reactivates bromide to bromine so you end up with bromine, not chlorine.

As for how to convert a bromine pool to a chlorine pool, Ben described the situation as "once a bromine pool, always a bromine pool" and talks about this in more detail at PoolSolutions. If you didn't use bromine tabs, but used sodium bromide with shocking using chlorine or non-chlorine shock to activate the bromine, then IF there isn't too much bromide and bromine in the water then it can slowly outgas over time (months, usually) and eventually become a chlorine pool again.

The problem is that there is no readily available consumer test kit for either bromide or bromine as distinct from chloride or chlorine. Bromine test kits don't distinguish chlorine from bromine which is why there are test kits that show both scales since they are measuring the same thing, only in different units (bromine units are 2.25 times higher than chlorine, though most test kits only show this as 2 times higher). So the only way you have any clue as to what you have is from the daily usage which in sunlight may be somewhat higher when using bromine. Perhaps the smell is somewhat different as well, though that can be hard to detect.

For all of these reasons, one is usually told that if you want to convert a bromine pool back to chlorine, you have to do a complete water replacement.

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 05-19-2010 at 01:27 PM.

I will do just that. I will use chlorine shock to get this thing back into shape and continue with bromine as my sanitizer for the season. I think I'm looking at a new liner after this summer, that would be a perfect time to make a full conversion to chlorine. Thanks to all of you for your very helpful input!!!

Needzo.

And thanks to Richard for correcting my mistake...I had a FEELING I had missed something--and I had.

Yes, there's a tip on PoolSolutions "Once a Bromide Pool..." and I had forgotten that.
    Carl

I appreciate ALL of your input, thanks again

+ Reply to Thread