+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My pool looks like a swamp

Default Re: My pool looks like a swamp

I was out of town but it was just over night I shocked it heavy before I Left and then when I returned. I put a few chlorine tabs in the floater before I left also. My chlorine level was still up when I returned. I will say to my surprise my pool was cloudy blue this morning. that's a big change from where it was. I just don't know why it is taking so long this isn't the first time I ever had to deal with algae. I looked back on what I spent on chlorine and shock since opening the pool this year it it is just under $300.00. It does look like I have had a big improvement with the way it looks now. When I vacuum I don't seem to be picking up anything. My chlorine level has held very constant considering the amount of algae in the pool. Usually it drops like a rock when I have and algae problem.

vanman2501

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I tested this morning before shocking or doing anything to the pool.

FC 15
    PH 7.5
    TA 80
    CYA 40

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Test it 2 or better yet 3 times today and each time, add enough bleach to get back to a cl level of 15. Keep doing this until your pool clears up and you do not lose more than 1 ppm of chlorine overnight. (Test it in the morning before the sun gets on the pool.) When you reach that point, I would suggest holding it at shock level for one addtional day just for good measure and then you can begin to let the cl level drift back down. Then, to keep from having this happen again, never let your chlorine level drop below 3. Always keep it between 3-6. (Unless your cya level changes. If it does, check the "Best Guess CYA Chart for the required chlorine levels you'll need to keep.)

Actually, you can test more than 3 times per day. The more often you test it and redose it with bleach the faster it will clear up.

The pool looks blue and very cloudy. I can see abut a third of the way down.

vanman2501

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You're getting there! Keep the pump running, backwash it as your pressure indicates.

Janet

I picked up some DE and added it yesterday. Watermom you were correct about adding it slowly. I added a little waited a few minutes add more and so on until my pressure went up about a pound. I put the DE away and went back to the pool and as you predicted my pressure was very high so I had to start over. This morning you could see a big difference in clarity. I fond the DE at Lowe's I think it was about $18.00 for a life time supply with the small amount needed. It looks like I will have to do a backwash tomorrow since I noticed the pressure up a bit tonight.

vanman250

Yep. Same thing happened to me the first time I added DE. I'm actually glad it did, though, because now I know to advise people that this might happen if you add too much too soon. Experience is the best teacher.

I can see the bottom of the pool today. The water is still a little cloudy but much better then it was. I have been adding the DE every time I backwash. I hope to see clear water soon.

vanman2501

+ Reply to Thread