+ Reply to Thread

Thread: two openings(holes) where skimmer is

timmie is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst timmie 0

Default two openings(holes) where skimmer is

Hi, I have two holes where the skimmer is and there is a flap that looks like it should cover one of the holes. I did not do it yet. Are one of them supposed to be covered???
    Timmie

Default Re: two openings(holes) where skimmer is

A photo sure would be helpful. I'm having a hard time picturing your situation. The 'flap' might be the weir.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by timmie View Post
    Hi, I have two holes where the skimmer is and there is a flap that looks like it should cover one of the holes. I did not do it yet. Are one of them supposed to be covered???
    Are the two holes you refer to at the bottom of the skimmer well?

One is a suction port that leads from the skimmer to the pump. The second port is sometimes plumbed as an equalizer line (you'd notice a suction inlet nearby on the pool wall) but more often as the feed from the main drain. The flap is probably the trimmer plate for a float valve that is designed to close shut when the water level in the skimmer drops or the flow is diminished. Prevents air from reaching the pump by diverting water from the main drain (or equalizer line).

If there is no float assembly installed and no main drain or equalizer connection (in other words, port #2 has no function) it may be a cover/drain plug for it. You might have to push a stick or something down the hold to determine if the #2 port is being used. On my skimmer it deadheads into concrete.
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

Great answer, polyvue! You knew right away timmie is talking about an inground. Me, I'm single-tracked on AGPs. Have to unlock my brain!
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

timmie is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst timmie 0

Thanks for the reply....BUT.........do I have to put the flap over the other hole, or should both be uncovered? I do not know much about pools.

Quote Originally Posted by timmie View Post
    Thanks for the reply....BUT.........do I have to put the flap over the other hole, or should both be uncovered? I do not know much about pools.
    AnnaK's post reminds me to confirm what I should have asked you initially: You're starting up an in-ground pool? Depending on how your pool is plumbed you might not need the flap-- but so we're on the same page, could you identify the skimmer brand and part? See links below to view a skimmer parts diagram for a popular model (Hayward Skim-Master SP1070). If you don’t have or use a float valve assembly in the skimmer my guess is that the part in question is a skimmer throttle slide plate. It attaches near the port with a screw and can be pivoted to cover it.

Which hole? Almost always the port that is furthest from the pool is the suction pipe that leads back to the main pump on the equipment pad. If you use the throttle plate, that’s where it would go. If you don’t recall its placement from last year it may have been screwed in but not used. Throttling may be useful if you have multiple skimmers and vacuum using a suction hose/head. Partially covering the port will increase suction-side head (reducing flow) and allow more suction to develop at the vacuum head for better cleaning. But for normal operation, don't cover the hole.

The other port, nearer the pool, could be plumbed to a main drain (MD) or it could be unused and will likely be only a few inches deep leading to concrete. Use a tape measure or a long thin stick to probe each port (hole) in the skimmer to find out. If it dead-ends you could insert a plug or just ignore it.

http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_hayward_sp1070_sp1071_skim_master.aspx
    http://www.inyopools.com/pool_part_cat_Skimmer_Parts.aspx
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

+ Reply to Thread