+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winterizing solar panels

Hybrid View

Default Winterizing solar panels

I know that I am WAY ahead of the game, since I have JUST opened the pool, but I installed sungrabber solar panels for an IG pool this year and I have a couple of questions about what to do in the fall when I close the pool.

1. Why is it, if you have an above ground pool w/ panels you have to remove the panels and store inside??? And why is it ok to leave IG pool panels on the roof over the winter????

I have installed (5) 2'x20' panels on my roof. I have a 15" slope on the panels that will drain towards the inlet side of the panels. This is above and beyond what the install manual said, to have 1" of drop for every 10'. That is the only information I have gleened about winterizing these panels.

What is the proper way to winterize the panels for IG pools so I don't open next year to a sprinkler system on my roof????

Thanks for any and all input. I know, I shouldn't be thinking about closing the pool, just wanted to throw this out and give you all some time to post some thoughts.

Thanks,
    Ted (TRHOD) North Canton, Ohio
    1974 Anthony 24,000 gal IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter/1hp superpump. (5) 2x20ft sungrabber solar panel roof mounted
    Acquired pool June 2006 Been BBBing ever since

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Winterizing solar panels

The main idea is to have no water in the panels so the water cannot freeze and expand and split the panels.

The panels get much more rigid and brittle as it gets colder. If they are in 80deg sunshine, they are flexible and roll easily. In 60 deg sunshine they are far stiffer and more difficult to roll. In freezing temperatures, they are impossible to roll and can easily split because they are brittle. Ever leave a garden hose out all winter and see how it's impossible to unroll in the cold? Same idea.

But on the roof they are away from potential movement and abuse, although severe winds can be a problem.
    Carl

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Do you have a vacuum release valve installed? If not, they will not drain by themselves.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Do you have a vacuum release valve installed? If not, they will not drain by themselves.

Yes, it has a VRV. The way I understand things, I need to remove the VRV and the inlet pipe, let it drain for 30-40minutes, then replace the VRV and leave the inlet pipe off so it can continue to drain.

Is there anything else I should/need to do for winterizing the panels??/
    1974 Anthony 24,000 gal IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter/1hp superpump. (5) 2x20ft sungrabber solar panel roof mounted

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

A VRV will open and close on it's own so you don't have to remove it to drain the panels but that may not be what you actually have. Perhaps they just put in a capped port for manual draining?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

So, all I need to do is drain the panels and the lines to the solar panels from water and I should be good to go for winterizing the panels. Is that correct???

Thanks for you help.

BLessings,

+ Reply to Thread