+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Regular bleach?

Default Regular bleach?

So, you mean to tell me that everybody around here just uses regular bleach in their pool? Isn't that gonna bleach out my liner? Won't it fade my swimsuit?? Sounds kinda weird to me, but I'll give it a try.

Default Re: Regular bleach?

Quote Originally Posted by swimster View Post
    So, you mean to tell me that everybody around here just uses regular bleach in their pool? Isn't that gonna bleach out my liner? Won't it fade my swimsuit?? Sounds kinda weird to me, but I'll give it a try.
    Some of us have SWGs (salt water chlorine generators) and perhaps a few folks here use TriChlor or Cal-Hypo--- very carefully or in limited fashion since it adds Cyanuric Acid (CYA) (or calcium) and chlorine at the same time. Your pool needs CYA... but not too much.

In the winter, when the SWG is not operating, I use regular 6% bleach (unscented clorox or generic brand whose label specifies 6%) or liquid chlorine (10-12%). It won't fade your liner unless you pour it all in one spot and forget to turn on the pump! It won't fade your swimsuit unless you spill it directly on your suit while adding to the pool.
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Well, we WERE recommending lots of Hydrogen Peroxide and copper, but that was bleaching everyone's hair blond, then turning it green. That seemed to have been a problem for a lot of people. I have no idea why.

They also got mad at us for recommending rice wine vinegar instead of muriatic acid to lower pH. Gives your pool that nice sushi house aroma!
    Carl

I've had some decent luck with Tequila. It really takes just a couple ounces a day to manage bacteria and algae. I'm frequently in the pool during application and I do use the slug method. It's never faded my liner.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
    I've had some decent luck with Tequila. It really takes just a couple ounces a day to manage bacteria and algae. I'm frequently in the pool during application and I do use the slug method. It's never faded my liner.
    Yeah, Tequila will kill the slugs, too!

Me, I prefer the slower method of introducing the Tequila, but I use only Chenaco Anejo. It does nothing for pH, tho.
    Carl

You know, I've tested the strength of a variety of brands and found that the concentration of the rather generic Jose Cuervo is comparable to the pricier stuff, and it's available nearly everywhere. I hear there are states where WalMart even sells it. Alas, I do not live in such a state.
    Last edited by AnnaK; 05-13-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Depends on whether your goal is alcohol content or not. I like Cuervo just fine in margaritas, but Chenaco is for sippin'.
    Carl

Great stuff, but like Waylon says, ". . . can't afford to have it all the ti-i-i-i-me."

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Getting back to swimster's original concern, one needs to understand that all forms of chlorine result in IDENTICAL chlorine in the water. The only differences are in whatever else they add and in their affect on pH, but the latter can be adjusted.

One also needs to understand that when there is Cyanuric Acid (CYA), aka stabilizer or conditioner, used in pool water, that it significantly reduces the active chlorine level that actually would oxidize swimsuits, etc. With the recommended Free Chlorine (FC) vs. CYA levels on this forum shown in the Best Guess CYA chart, the active chlorine level is the same as found in a pool with only 0.1 ppm FC and no CYA so it's very low.

For vinyl pools, add the chlorine slowly over a return flow at the deep end (if any) with the pump running and then for extra safety take a pool brush and lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool where you added the chlorine for additional mixing. Once mixed, the chlorine is perfectly safe. The worst thing for vinyl liners is low pH so having a Trichlor puck sit against the vinyl is very bad. Having concentrated chlorine on vinyl is also not good but can be a problem from adding Cal-Hypo to a pool as well if you don't thoroughly get the chlorine mixed into the pool water.

Richard

Richard:
    Haven't you heard the latest? Chlorine is out of date. Ethyl alcohol is the NEW sanitizer--and you can drink the pool water!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread