+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Rite = Amperage

Question Aqua Rite = Amperage

My new Aqua-Rite is not producing chlorine. I noted on the diagnostic that the amperage reading was running about 3.21 to 3.45 which is lower than what is the proper operating level. How do you fix this?

Also, I found it strange that I had to go to the WEB to find our what the correct operating volt and amperage ranges are since the manual that came with the system failed to include them.

Default Re: Aqua Rite = Amperage

Quote Originally Posted by vicar8 View Post
    My new Aqua-Rite is not producing chlorine. I noted on the diagnostic that the amperage reading was running about 3.21 to 3.45 which is lower than what is the proper operating level. How do you fix this?

Also, I found it strange that I had to go to the WEB to find our what the correct operating volt and amperage ranges are since the manual that came with the system failed to include them.
    I don't remember whether I got this from the Goldline manual or somewhere else:

Cell voltage 22-25 v when chlorinating else 30-35 v

Current 4.5 - 7.8 amps when chlorinating else 0 amps

The amperage of your SWG cell may be within normal operating limits if the water is cold. On my system 50° F. water and lower levels of salt (~2500 ppm) will cause the applied voltage to read 27.17 volts 3.30 amps.

It seems that both Goldline and Pentair manuals tend to be a bit skimpy on content... very frustrating when you're trying to diagnose a problem with an error code that isn't documented or just attempting to establish a baseline for future troubleshooting.
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

There should be a warning at those amp levels. If it is a new unit and the water temperature is not too low then I suspect your salt level is too low.

What does the unit report for voltage, salt level and water temperature?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue View Post
    I don't remember whether I got this from the Goldline manual or somewhere else:

Cell voltage 22-25 v when chlorinating else 30-35 v

Current 4.5 - 7.8 amps when chlorinating else 0 amps

The amperage of your SWG cell may be within normal operating limits if the water is cold. On my system 50° F. water and lower levels of salt (~2500 ppm) will cause the applied voltage to read 27.17 volts 3.30 amps.

It seems that both Goldline and Pentair manuals tend to be a bit skimpy on content... very frustrating when you're trying to diagnose a problem with an error code that isn't documented or just attempting to establish a baseline for future troubleshooting.
    You have the right numbers according to their web page. However my water temp is 90 degrees and my salt level (according to the control box) is 3500 which is, if anything, a little high.

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    There should be a warning at those amp levels. If it is a new unit and the water temperature is not too low then I suspect your salt level is too low.

What does the unit report for voltage, salt level and water temperature?
    voltage is usually around 27+ , salt level reads 3500, water temp is 90

Shocked the system, heavily, on advice from pool store. When I dial around 60 the amps read zero. At 100 3.21.

Do not think system is producing chlorine??

Low amps could be caused by calcium scaling or by an aging cell that is almost worn out. Do a visual inspection of the cell plates. If there is any white chalky residue on the plates you have calcium scaling and need to clean the cell. If the plates look clean but the corners are worn away on some of the plates then the cell is aging and probably needs to be replaced.
    Last edited by JasonLion; 05-10-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    -- Trouble Free Pool website administrator --
    ------ note added by PoolForum staff -------

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Aqua Rite = Amperage

I agree with the advice given so far

I'd just like to welcome both Vicar8 and Jason to the forum!! (Jason, I know you tried to join a few years ago and couldn't - I'm glad you can now be a part of the Pool Forum
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Question Re: Aqua Rite = Amperage

Thank you for the welcome.

I am still unclear about the volt and amp readings and what they should be.

Should you clean the cell as soon as you note the lower than normal range amp reading? Is chlorine being produced when the reading is low? Is it enough to keep the pool properly chlorinated? Raising the setting to 100 does not seem to impact the amp reading. Is the amp reading meant to guide you as to when to increase the output?

Is a high volt reading, out of the normal range, something to be concerned with and have to do something to correct it?

Sorry if I am overworking this.

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

Vicar8, welcome to the forum.

I also have an Aquarite SWG that's 8 years old and I'm on the original cell.

Based on my experience, the lower the amp draw, the lower the salt level. Since you indicated your unit is new, I would call the customer service number on the inside of your control box. 3.21 amps is very low for 3500 salt level and warm water. Some Ting Wong.

Also, the unit operates on 100 minute cycles and the output dial is a direct percentage run time. In other words, if your output dial is 60%, you will generate for 60 minutes, then rest for the next 40. When you dialed your output to 60 and showed no amp draw, your % run time for that cycle had elapsed and were resting. Hope this helps.

A Hayward rep claims my model uses lower amps and all I need to do is add a little phosphate lowering stuff. I am doubtful since the Hayward web page doesn't have anything about another model similar to mine.
    Does anyone out there know if he is telling me the truth?

+ Reply to Thread