+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aqua Rite = Amperage

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Aqua Rite = Amperage

I can give you a few data points that I have logged in the past. I have a T-15-Cell.

87 degrees, 3000 ppm salt, 26 volts, 6.30 amps.
    100 degrees, 3000 ppm salt, 25 volts, 7.2 amps.

So at 90 deg, 3500 ppm, the amps should be higher than 7.

What cell are you using?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

I have a T-15-Cell currently at 24.2V and 6.4A. Salt is 3500 and 72 degrees.

Like mas985, I'd like to know what cell you're using.

I've used phosphate lowering stuff twice over the last 8 years when phosphates got to 3500+. Basically had an algae bloom with the only evidence being no chlorine residual and that condition kept coming back over a month even though I had shocked repeatedly.

I didn't have time to keep shocking so it worked for me but that's a rare condition. I'll almost bet if you shocked your pool HARD you'll be back in business.

Hope this helps, Tony
    Last edited by tonyl; 05-14-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Since my "new" system is not operating at the amps or volts normally to be expected I have to conclude that while it may be working to some extent it is not functioning to its optimum. My best guess is I was sold a used or defective system. I will be following up on this with my dealer and if necessary Hayward.
    I am particularly upset with being lied to by the Hayward rep who claimed there were 2 T-15 Cels. In response to an inquiry direct to Hayward they said there was only one T-15. I will definitely let Hayward know of this deception.

By the way a phosphate test indicated my level was only 500, which is really not very significant, but anyway I have now added a phosphate remover and a clarifier.

Also, I am still at 3500, 26+volts and 3.2+ amps, temp 86(today).

I am going to ask the dealer for a complete replacement. I have hesitated to open the cel to see if it is calcified or otherwise compromised but will ask him to do so to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by vicar8 View Post
    Since my "new" system is not operating at the amps or volts normally to be expected I have to conclude that while it may be working to some extent it is not functioning to its optimum. My best guess is I was sold a used or defective system. I will be following up on this with my dealer and if necessary Hayward.
    I am particularly upset with being lied to by the Hayward rep who claimed there were 2 T-15 Cels. In response to an inquiry direct to Hayward they said there was only one T-15. I will definitely let Hayward know of this deception.

By the way a phosphate test indicated my level was only 500, which is really not very significant, but anyway I have now added a phosphate remover and a clarifier.

Also, I am still at 3500, 26+volts and 3.2+ amps, temp 86(today).

I am going to ask the dealer for a complete replacement. I have hesitated to open the cel to see if it is calcified or otherwise compromised but will ask him to do so to satisfy my curiosity.
    TWO T-CELL 15s? That seems odd. Perhaps he meant to say that they have different models with different capacities (I think the "15" just indicates the length of the connection cord, anyway).

Not sure why some cell manufacturers are so fixated on phosphate levels -- 500 is pretty close to what I have (250 PPB) and I've experienced no issues with my almost 3 year old Goldline Aqua T-CELL-15. Much more problematic would be pool water to which lots of sodium bisulphate (dry acid) has been added, very high calcium and/or out-of-range pH.

It's truly very easy to dismantle the cell for inspectiion -- turn off the power and loosen the two unions at each end of the cell. Hold it up to the light (sun or flashlight) and look for encrustrations. Only do a muriatic rinse/soak (4 parts water to 1 part muriatic acid) if there is obvious build-up on the plates or as a last resort. My Goldline manual suggests using a stick (!) but I've never tried this or needed to.

EDIT Original reported Phosphates at 250 PPM (parts per million). Corrected to PPB (parts per billion). 5-17-10 END EDIT
    Last edited by polyvue; 05-17-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Correct units
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

I can't seem to find the page on which I got the amp and volt specs. Can you help?
    Would a t-3 model have different specs than the t-15?

Default Aqua Rite = Amperage

Apparently he(the Rep) was. It has all been a terrible mis-communication. Each of the Aqua-rite models has different proper operating specs. My T-3 ranges are 1.30-3.91 amps and 23.8-28volts.
    The Hayward and Goldline manuals really need improvement explaining spec ranges for each product and what they mean as well. All the diagnostic numbers should be fully explained.

===================================

Be aware that specs depend on which model you have. A T-15 has different specs vs. the T-3.

I finally cut through their mis-information and poorly written manual. My system is a T-3 and is working quite well.

===================================

Bottom line.... Hayward really needs to revise their manuals to avoid all the confusion they and untrained dealers lacking knowledge cause.

They appear to have a good product.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-14-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: merged short posts

+ Reply to Thread