+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Triton II Bulkhead replacement

Default Triton II Bulkhead replacement

I have a Triton II 140 sand filter. Since winter, it has been leaking at the bulkhead where the multi-valve connects. I initially replaced the outer O rings, thinking that was the problem. But it still leaked, leading me to believe it is the inner o rings.

So today I was going to tackle this, as part of getting the pool ready for the season--and to stop the drip drip drip of leaking water. Of course, it is the lower one, requiring me to dig a bunch of sand out of the way to get to it. Now that I have it exposed, I cannot figure out how to get the nut on the inside loose. There is not enough room to maneuver a wrench or pliers inside the cavity to get a good grip on this thing.

Anyone ever done this and have any hints?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Default Re: Triton II Bulkhead replacement

OK, did some checking and searching and found that there is a special tool to remove the inside retaining nut--looks like a slip and lock nut wrench but with an off-set handle--sold online for between $150 and $250!!! OUCH!!! But rather than adjustable, the tool from pentair is one solid piece of metal sized for the nut. Here is a link to a picture of it:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/wimag.../4600-1602.jpg

For that cost for something I probably will not need again, I should probably just pay someone to fix this. It pains me to do so, because with the right tool, it is an easy fix of probably less than an hour. But if it costs me $150 or less plus parts to pay a pro that has this wrench to do it, I might as well spend my time doing something else.

I have an adjustable slip and lock nut wrench, but because you have to do this blind (unless you have REALLY skinny arms), it is near impossible to set it at the correct size. Even if I could, it might not work because it does not have an offset to it.

Hopefully one of you knowledgeable guys (or gals) might have some input on the best way to handle this. I figure if I haven't come up with an alternative by Monday, I will just call a service company and let them handle it.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Paul
    Last edited by poolboy69; 05-08-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added additional info and link

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Ouch. Roughly how big of a nut is it? Can't tell by the pic.
    Al

It is the slipnut that holds the 2" bulkhead to the filter body--maybe somewhere between 2.5" and 3" in diameter.

Yes, talk about highway robbery!!! It hurts my pride to turn something over to a pro that I know I could do with ease, but when it will cost more to do it yourself vs. paying to have it done, I guess it is a no-brainer!!!

Thanks.

Paul

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I don't have one of that type but there are oil filter wrenches that are cup shaped to fit around the end of a spin-on filter. If it's the right diameter and nut pattern maybe you could cut it down. Also, how about a large socket. When you get to that size they get expensive but still a heck of a lot cheaper than what they want. Don't know if you would have the depth for clearance though or if it has to fit around a pipe or something. Have you tried Ebay? Can find almost anything there. Just a few ideas that come to mind. I'll keep thinking.
    Al

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Triton II Bulkhead replacement

Any chance of an external pic of the bulkhead? I've got a trick that might work, but I haven't played with a Trition sand filter in over 15 years (they were made by Pac Fab back then)

If you can get me a pic, I might just be able to save you some $$
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks guys for weighing in...long story short, a friend who runs a pool cleaning and repair service--but not close enough to me to do the work--had the tool and has allowed me to use it. Let me say, that in lieu of some other option I have yet to discover, this overpriced tool is the ONLY way to get these off. Yes, a 3" slip wrench would fit but you HAVE to have the offset that this tool has.

So after a long drive after work on Monday to get the tool from him, I thought I was on my way to having this fixed. BUT--Woke up Tuesday morning feeling sick and ended up leaving work early to go to doctor. Bad respiratory infection that knocked me down and out from work Wednesday and Thursday-so even with the tool, the repair had to wait until I was better.

So went to work on this first thing this morning and discovered there was no way to fix this lower bulkhead without draining all the sand and pea gravel. Reason is that to screw the internal fitting into the bulkhead, you have to expose the laterals and remove them from the PVC. OK, so I did the messy job of draining 275 lbs of pea gravel--able to capture and salvage most of it--and 650 lbs of sand. Got that done, ran to the home center for replacement sand, and ready to put this thing back together.

Bulkheads went on like a charm--glad I decided to replace with entire new bulkhead kit on both (bulkhead, oring, gasket, internal and external spacers, locknuts). Cost me an additional $50 over replacing one and just new gaskets for both but with this much work--basically dismantling entire filter components to fix this--just seemed like a no-brainer to make it all right. Plus the years of immersion in sand, chlorine, and water, the threads on the old locknuts and bulkhead were not in the best shape and tightening the locknuts was not smooth. Even inspected all other internal parts and cleaned the laterals thoroughly and made sure they were not cracked anywhere.

OK, ready to replace pea gravel and add new sand AND...UH-OH, the drain plug broke when putting it back on. Did not overtighten, in fact, got it 3/4 of the way on and it just seemed to be spinning when I realized that the threaded part had come apart. Of course, this happens at 7:05 pm, just after the only place that might have the part locally had closed. I hate doing business with Leslie's--overpriced, limited stock, and underknowledged--but I really hope they have this part because it will be the only place to get it tomorrow. If not, I guess it will be Monday before I can get it and Monday night before I can hopefully get this thing up and running again.

Send good thoughts my way--please!!!

It just makes me sick to see the water so green. Since I had the pool remodeled 8 years ago and stuck to Ben's advice on chlorination and testing, I have never added anything to the pool but water, tri-tabs, cal-hypo, and occasionally acid. Never any algae. Never any algaecide. I went ahead tonight and double shocked the green water, brushed it good, and stirred the water as best as I could. Hopefully, this will keep things from getting worse before I can get it fixed in next day or two. Hopefully I can keep from having to add any algaecide or drain the thing and refill. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Sorry for the novel, but thought I would update the status. I figure I will write out a complete repair report and post it appropriately for those that may run into this problem in the future. Had I had it to do over, I would have not tried to do this without draining sand and gravel. Oh well, live and learn. But maybe I can help someone else avoid my pitfalls in the future.

For the record, despite this one beatdown, I love and hope to continue to love my Triton II 140 sand filter. I know many are partial to DE or cartridge, but for the cost and (usual) ease of use, I will continue to be a sand guy. Not a pro, just a shade tree fixer upper who refuses to not tackle most any home project.

Take care and thanks again for those that chimed in with help...have a great rest of your weekend...

Paul

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Paul, sorry you fell victim to Murphy's Law. Also glad you're feeling better.

You might want to think about using the "recirc' position on your multiport (unless you got on of the BS 4 way multis or, worse yet, have a push- pull valve )

Even if you can't filter the water right now, you can still mix it up and spread the chlorine love.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread