+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low calcium hardness in vinyl pool ok?

Default Low calcium hardness in vinyl pool ok?

Just a quick question y'all. Just tested the water (per Ben's pool testing kit) and my Calcium Hardness is 60ppm, which is low... BUT, my question... is it really necessary to have the Calcium Hardness up to levels in a vinyl pool ?? Is this really needed to keep the water correct or just important for concrete pools? Thanks in advance.
    We're really excited here in SC... pool water is up to 75 degrees... it's swimming time y'all !!

RockG in SC

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Low calcium hardness in vinyl pool ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    I wish my pool was 75 degrees. Don't worry about the calcium hardness level for your vinyl pool. Go swim.
    You only need to worry if the calcium level is too high--then your water can get cloudy (but it's still safe).

Pool stores will give you an AMAZING song-and-dance about why you need calcium in your vinyl pool. It's nonsense.
    Carl

Thanks y'all... I thought I had read on here that it was ok. I do appreciate you both. Carly, btw, I officially started swimming today !! The kids jumped in so dad could NOT wimp out. Gotta tell you, it feels great !!!

Thanks again to the both of you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    You only need to worry if the calcium level is too high--then your water can get cloudy (but it's still safe).

Pool stores will give you an AMAZING song-and-dance about why you need calcium in your vinyl pool. It's nonsense.
    If you have a heater with a copper heat exchange and your hardness is low it can destroy your heater. If there are any exposed metal parts in your pump or filter then your water when it is too soft (below 150ppm) your water can be corrosive as well. Most newer pump and filters won't have any exposed metal though and you should be find. If you have a vinyl liner and no heater 150ppm is a good point to stay at if you have a heater I usually recommend 250ppm just to be safe.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hi Shaggy;

Watermom asked me to take a look at your post -- she's right, it reads like you've been drinking a lot of the pool industry koolade, whether you are in the biz or not.

Several important points:
    1. Low pH will damage copper pool heaters; low hardness does not.
    2. Hardness -- at ANY level -- is only an issue in a 'plastic' pool (PVC pipes, vinyl liner, polymer pump) if it's HIGH. A hardness of 10 is fine in a plastic pool.

In general, the whole saturation index thing the pool industry has wasted so much paper on, doesn't apply to most pools. It's significant in PLASTER (cement & marble dust) pools, but overblown or inapplicable almost everywhere else. The entire situation is a mess.

If you are a pool owner, the answer is don't worry about it much unless it's too high, or unless you have a plaster pool.

If you are in the pool biz, this is a discussion that belongs in the China Shop.

Best wishes,

PoolDoc

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Low calcium hardness in vinyl pool ok?

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Hi Shaggy;

Watermom asked me to take a look at your post -- she's right, it reads like you've been drinking a lot of the pool industry koolade, whether you are in the biz or not.

Several important points:
    1. Low pH will damage copper pool heaters; low hardness does not.
    2. Hardness -- at ANY level -- is only an issue in a 'plastic' pool (PVC pipes, vinyl liner, polymer pump) if it's HIGH. A hardness of 10 is fine in a plastic pool.

In general, the whole saturation index thing the pool industry has wasted so much paper on, doesn't apply to most pools. It's significant in PLASTER (cement & marble dust) pools, but overblown or inapplicable almost everywhere else. The entire situation is a mess.

If you are a pool owner, the answer is don't worry about it much unless it's too high, or unless you have a plaster pool.

If you are in the pool biz, this is a discussion that belongs in the China Shop.

Best wishes,

PoolDoc

Speaking as someone in the business - GREAT ANSWER! (but I wouldn't know that, if I hadn't joined this site)
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

There's a lot of discussion among the experts on whether calcium carbonate saturation helps to prevent metal corrosion and you can read just one such discussion here:

http://corrosion-doctors.org/Cooling...orrosivity.htm

The bottom line is that it is pH that is a critical factor in corrosion and next would be a low TA since that would allow for a low pH locally when there is no water flow. The presence of chlorides, sulfates and generally the conductivity of the water are also important. Of course, one must have an oxidizer in the water as well such as dissolved oxygen or, of course, in pools we have chlorine. Calcium carbonate saturation is iffy at best since getting a consistent protective patina is quite difficult to achieve. If calcium directly interfered with the corrosion process, then that would be different, but there is no evidence that this is the case.

Many people have copper plumbing in their homes and have either chlorine or monochoramine in their water systems yet the water is often very low in CH (50 ppm or lower). Water districts often add some corrosion inhibitors, but they don't saturate the water with calcium carbonate. Also, there is no CYA in tap water so any chlorine is far, far higher in active concentration than found in pools. Pools with an FC that is at or above the minimum in Ben's Best Guess CYA chart (an FC that is 7.5% of the CYA level) are equivalent in active chlorine concentration to water with only 0.06 ppm FC with no CYA.
    Last edited by chem geek; 05-27-2010 at 09:18 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I would add that if hardness were good for plumbing we wouldn't have so many water softeners!

Everyone's left out that excessive hardness causes scaling and that's not much better than corrosion. Anything that uses a lot of water, from a coffee maker to your faucets are victims of scaling.

I think Richard's message (and mine would be) that proper pool chemistry maintenance is all you need--so skip the calcium in vinyl pools!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread