+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clorox Regular bleach is slippery

Default Clorox Regular bleach is slippery

I bought Clorox regular bleach at Costco. I just refilled my entire pool and was starting to add the bleach when I felt the bleach with my fingers and it's slippery!? It's not think like the 'no splash' versions, but has a light green tint to it and feels slippery when rubbing your fingers together.

I don't recall it being slippery in the past. Isn't it Clorox Regular Bleach that most of you guys use? I'm not too thrilled about pouring slippery 'anything' into the freshly refilled pool.

Can someone shed some light on this, and let me know if there's a better product to use for the bleach?

Thanks,
    C

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Clorox Regular bleach is slippery

The generic bleach that I get from WalMart has a yellowish-green tint to it and is "slippery" feeling, so that wouldn't concern me as long as what you have isn't scented.

There was a problem that a lot of people here had with the Clorox bleach last year--thnk it had something to do with the "new and improved" stain fighting formula that caused white deposits on the pool floor. Might want to search Clorox for posts within the last year regarding that. However, I wouldn't worry about the color and feel--that's normal.

Janet

Edit: Here's a thread about the "new, improved" Clorox--the formula in question appears as a white liquid, so it sounds like you've got the right stuff. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...=Clorox+Bleach
    Last edited by aylad; 04-18-2010 at 12:46 PM.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Pretty much any bleach or chlorinating liquid is going to feel slippery. It's due to the high pH and also occurs from a solution of lye as well. This is normal and is because the high pH saponifies the oils in your skin (essentially making soap out of your skin oil). Once diluted in the pool water, it won't feel slippery at all, assuming you are properly maintaining your pool's pH.
    Last edited by chem geek; 04-19-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Thanks for your replies - that makes me feel better

+ Reply to Thread