+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refill pool

Default Refill pool

I am having to refill my pool due to a leak. How much bleach and backing soda should I start with? I assume I will need stabilizer as well. What else will I need to get started?

Here are my specs:

23,000 Inground gunite pool with a Hayward sand filter. I have it about half full and have already added a gallon of 6% bleach.

Thank you!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Refill pool

You need to test. That is the only way to know what is correct..

Baking soda is only if your T/A is too low.

For pH you will either need to add acid (pH too high)or Borax (pH too low).

You will also need to add some stabilizer. How much depends on how much you want.

That is the only way your questions can be answered. I wish I could tell you "Add 3 gallons of bleach, one box of Borax and you'll be fine". But I can't.
    Carl

I am having the same problem; actually had 14000 gallons added today. So far I have not added any chemicals at all at all other than shock. Water so far is clean, but it has been cold the last couple of days. I have a 24000 gallon in-ground gunite pool with a cartridge filter system and a Comfort-Chlor AquaComfort Chlorine Generator.

This is my plan:

1. Have the water tested, but do the following based on the results.
    2. Add Muriatic Acid as this is a new gunite pool (build last year) and my ph tended to be high all of last year.
    3. Add chlorine stabilizer.
    4. Add Bleach to increase Chlorine.
    5. Add salt go get salinity for my pool to the 3000-4000 ppm range to use the chlorine generator. Last year the pool company added about 500 lb.
    6. Once balanced, turn on the Chlorine generator. Last year it provided enough free chlorine at a very low setting. Even had to turn it off here and there for the chlorine to burn off.

I do have a few questions:
    - Did I forget anything?
    - Is the order correct?
    - How long do I have to wait between adding different chemicals?

Last year I had a problem with balancing ph and Alkalinity. I needed about .5 to 1 gallon of Muriatic Acid every other day to keep the ph down, but that also kept lowering the Alkalinity. So then I bough Alkalinity up at the pool store, but the pool guy there told me that will also raise ph. What's the secret of balancing them??

Thanks.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Xignals View Post
    I am having to refill my pool due to a leak. How much bleach and backing soda should I start with? I assume I will need stabilizer as well. What else will I need to get started?

Here are my specs:

23,000 Inground gunite pool with a Hayward sand filter. I have it about half full and have already added a gallon of 6% bleach.

Thank you!
    Until you get stabilizer in the water, you're going to need to keep your chlorine in the 1-3 ppm range. In a 23000 gal pool, it takes just under 1/2 gallon of 6% bleach to raise your chlorine by 1 ppm. With no stabilizer, the sun is going to eat it up pretty quickly, so plan on adding your bleach for sure at night and then probably bumping it up once during the day.

Most people target about 20 ppm stabilizer, and then work from there depending on how long your chlorine holds. For your size pool, you're going to need about 3 -3 1/2 lbs stabilizer to accomplish this. WalMart sells a 4 lb container in their pool section. Don't broadcast it like the directions say--either put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return, or dissolve it as much as you can in water and put it in through the skimmer--just make sure if you use this method that you don't backwash for at least a week because it takes several days for the CYA to register on tests. In the meantime, you're going to need to do the daily chlorine additions until the CYA is available to help shield your chlorine from the sun.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread