+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to remove oil from pool?

Default How to remove oil from pool?

Hello all,

Woke up this am after torrential rains (so cal) and a tiki torch had fallen into the pool and now we have an oil slick on top. Luckily pump was off the entire time and the oil has not circulated into the filter....yet.

What we should do next? I have done some googling and came up with a product called "First Aid for pools"...does anyone know anything about it?

I appreciate any help you have to offer.

KC

Pool specs: 2005 In ground, gunite, 8500 gal, Goldline SWG, Starite System III filter, pebble tec surface.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: How to remove oil from pool?

Try a 'scumball' or similar - oil will float on water so one of these absorbent do-hickies will catch the lamp oil. If it were only suntan lotion, or similar, you could reuse the 'scumball', but with volatile chems, it's better to 'use and dump' it

There's another post here on this - I'll go try to find it and link back here.

[EDIT] not that it's any different from what I previously said... here is the other link
    Last edited by waste; 01-19-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: How to remove oil from pool?

Waste,
    Once as much oil is out as can be gotten out, won't heavy doses of bleach break down the rest? It breaks down sun-tan oil.
    Carl

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

It depends on the oil. If it's a mostly saturated hydrocarbon, then it won't break down very quickly. Suntan lotion is different and isn't like oil used for burning. I think most of the oil will either get removed through skimming (including scum balls) and the rest may get caught in the filter if you run your pump on high to get the oil into the skimmer (i.e. with a vortex) though oils are non-polar and may not adhere to filter surfaces.

[EDIT] Some additional (and better than my) ideas were proposed in the responses in this thread including pig mats and enzymes and oil sponges. [END-EDIT]
    Last edited by chem geek; 01-20-2010 at 12:06 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Could get the water boiling and toss in some french-fries!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread