+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To tape or not to tape . . . that is the question

Default To tape or not to tape . . . that is the question

Hi everyone. For years I have used a blower to blow out the lines on our vinyl liner inground pool at closing. I have not typically lowered the water below the returns and wall vac inlet - only about an inch above the returns.
    I tag teamed with my husband to get it done: I run the blower at the filter deck, he holds a threaded wall plug wrapped with teflon tape and fights the thrashing water to get the plug screwed on.

This year the tape came off all three plugs and he said not to bother with it. I am a little leery, as the three lines were replaced 4 years ago ($3K) and I don't want to do that again any time soon (the originals lasted 23 years).

First off, with a vinyl liner IG is it safe to lower the water below the lines (which are at least 22" below the water line) so that we can see when the lines are empty and then plug them? Is it safe to NOT use teflon on the threads of the plugs?

I don't like feeling like a harpy - he feels bad that I don't trust him, but I want to know that the lines will be safe, that we won't bicker and I won't have to spend another $3K or more to replace the replaced lines.

We still haven't had a cold enough spell in the lower Hudson Valley of NY so I know I still have a little more time - but not a lot!

Thanks everyone for your help!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: To tape or not to tape . . . that is the question

Hi Kirsten

I know this wasn't a great season for pooling in the NE I hope you got some enjoyment out of the pool.

How low you can safely lower the water depends on the drainage under the pool - if you have a high water table or the snowmelt and spring rains will puddle under the pool, there is a chance of the liner floating - the more water in the pool, the less likely it will float.

r.e. the teflon tape - I assume you are using threaded plugs with an o-ring (i.e SP 1022-C). As long as the o-ring is in good shape, you shouldn't need the tape - unless, the faceplate is cracked or the liner wasn't fully cut out, a little flap of liner can keep the plug from fully sealing. As long as the plugs weren't bubbling after installed, the seal is good and you don't need to worry a bout it.

In the future when you blow the lines, let the air flow for 30 seconds then BACK OFF until the air is still coming out but not fountaining onto the deck (DH will surely appreciate this!) After the first plug is in, apply full force again for 30 seconds and back off again,... repeat for all lines. If you do it this way, the tape won't come off and DH won't get as soaked nor have as much trouble getting the plugs to screw in

If DH saw bubbles after the lines were plugged, I'd go ahead and reblow them as I described, otherwise, I'd say you're good for the winter.

Have a great winter and I look forward to seeing you here next season
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread