+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Antifreeze in skimmer lines - and compressor choice

Default Antifreeze in skimmer lines - and compressor choice

Everyone's set-up is a little different and does things differently, but how about this:
    I have two skimmers, independently plumbed, not hooked in to the main drain.

My pool company has closed my pool 5 years straight. The one thing I've questioned is the first thing they do is run the pump with the main drain valve set to close. They suck one skimmer until the water is just emptying from it, then pour in 1/2 gal antifreeze, then plug it off. They repeat with the other skimmer. They don't pump the line dry or even pump very long after the skimmer is empty. They just pour in a little anti freeze and plug it. I guess they're depending on the antifreeze.

So I'm doing it this year. Should I suck the lines longer, add more antifreeze, of blow them out?

I plan to purchase an air compressor with a 2 gallon accumulator tank. I figure I can set the pressure to what I want and have enough flow. And I also get to use it for some light construction! Do you think this will be sufficient:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...9DI&lpage=none

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Antifreeze in skimmer lines - and compressor choice

That compressor would be fine if you want to plug the lines and pressure test them but for blowing them dry you want something like a shop-vac that supplies a high volume at low pressure. Even better would be a leaf blower. Most shop vacs are designed to suck, not blow and may have to be modified a little to get sufficient pressure. What they do is on the pressure side of the fan they vent a significant amount of air away from the blowing port to always keep enough air flowing to cool the motor even when the outlet port is blocked. If you're handy and don't mind voiding any warranty you can figure how to get around this. Every manufacturer is a little different.
    Al

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Antifreeze in skimmer lines - and compressor choice

Hi Tomcat.

I would certainly listen to Al's advice!

I think a shop vac would allow you to vacate most of the water from the skimmers - especially if you'd used the pump to suck as much of the water out of the line before blowing them.

Whatever you use to blow them, apply air for ~ 5 seconds till the gush of water out of them becomes spray, and then wait ~ 10 seconds (so the water clinging to the pipes can puddle) before reapplying the air. If you do this a few times, you'll get the majority of the water out of the line. At that point, add a gallon or so of propylene glycol, to mix with any water left in the line, seal the port and protect the skimmer body from ice expansion.

The MD is a different story - if you'd like some advice on protecting it, simply ask and we'll proffer our advice.

Have a great winter! Ans I hope to see you here, if not over the winter, at least come next spring
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread