+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AquaRite by GoldLine Salt Chlorinator

Default AquaRite by GoldLine Salt Chlorinator

Hello,

I'm a first time pool owner and am having a Oval 21'x43' AG pool installed on March 28th. I've purchased a Aquarite salt chlorinator and am wondering if anyone has any tips for the initial set up and maintenance using this device.
    I was advised at the place of purchase to use Ag grade or course salt and not pellets or rock salt. My local farm co-op doesn't know what is meant by "Ag grade", anyone know? Are there any other chemicals required for maintaining a clear clean pool ?

Thanks,
    Dena

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I have an Aqualogic which is basically the same thing with full automation of my pumps, lights, water features, etc. I use either pool salt or water softener solar salt--goldine states in the manual that the salt should be 99.5% pure and both of these are. I find them at the grocery store, walmart, Home depot, etc. Pretty easy to find. Water softener pellets are ok but they take longer to dissolve. Just make sure they don't have any iron remover or any other junk like that in them--just salt. It will take a little while to adjust your pump run time and percentage on the cell to keep the proper chlorine level in your pool. Just get a good, drop based test kit (such as Ben's) to keep track of things. Once I got my water balanced I just have to add a bit of acid every few weeks to keep the pH in line since salt generators seem to cause a small pH rise as they operate. I have a 6600 gal inground fiberglass pool and 300 gal acrylic spa and I keep my pool at 2ppm free chlorine and the spa at 3 ppm based on my stabilier level of 50 ppm. Hope this helps!

Default Manager, HMH Pool & Patio

Hi,
    As has been pointed out, you can use pool salt, which you can find at Lowe's or other hardware outlets. You can also use solar salt. The Ag designation is something I haven't heard before, and I wouldn't worry about it. It generally is recommended that you not use salt that has YPS (yellow prussiate of soda), which is used as an anti-caking agent in fine salt.

Enjoy your new pool!

Mark

Hi Waterbear

I also have an Aqualogic TurboCell chlorine generator salt system. You mentioned that you have to add HCl acid. I'm still adding about 1/2 USG per 10 days to keep the pH in range. I assumed this was because our 10 year old pool was still curing, will I be adding this acid forever?

Assume 3200 ppm salt is what I should aim for?

Also, how do I clean the TurboCell, I was told need to put in bucket of water for 1/2 hour with two cups HCl?

Thanks for advice . . .

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Katy-Texas
    Hi Waterbear

I also have an Aqualogic TurboCell chlorine generator salt system. You mentioned that you have to add HCl acid. I'm still adding about 1/2 USG per 10 days to keep the pH in range. I assumed this was because our 10 year old pool was still curing, will I be adding this acid forever?

From my understanding the process of generating chlorine in the cell will cause the formation of sodium hydroxide as a byproduct so adding acid will be necessary maintenance for a salt system. I just fill a bucket half full of water, add about a cup and a half of acid, and test my water after about 20 minutes and the pH is usually right on the money. My pool is fiberglass so I don't have the problems with plaster causing a pH rise. You might want to double check your total alkalinity to make sure it is in the proper range. If it is too low you will not have enough of a buffer effect to help stabilize your pH.

Assume 3200 ppm salt is what I should aim for?

I don't add acid until the pH had crept above 7.8 and then keep it between 7.4 and 7.8 (as low as 7.2 is probably ok. Could someone with more experience check me on this?)

Also, how do I clean the TurboCell, I was told need to put in bucket of water for 1/2 hour with two cups HCl?

If you check the Goldline Controls website they have an excellent page on how to clean the Turbo Cell complete with pictures. You put 3"-4" water in a bucket, add 1 1/2" acid, stand the cell in it for ten minutes, turn it over to do the other side, rinse , and pour the acid mixture into your pool. The website and instruction manual both state that it is not necessary to clean the cell unless the check cell light on the panel comes on and and the salt level is above 2500(I think) ppm.

Thanks for advice . . .
    Hope this helps!

Default Isn't salt dangerous in AG pools?

We are about to purchase our first AG pool. At the "store" the other day, they recommended staying away from salt systems in AG pools due to problems they've seen with grounding and bonding. Seems they have a customer whose salt system keeps eating all the metal in the pool because it's not grounded correctly. I must admit to not understanding everything she was saying, but it was good enough to scare me away from a salt system.

Does anyone have any comments on this? I'd really like to start with the best system and know I have a much better chance of doing that if I listen to all the knowledgeable people in the forum who have done that/been there!

Thanks

SJohnson is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst SJohnson 0

One thing I can tell you is that there is an SWG by Goldline/Hayward made specifically for AG pools. It's called Aquatrol, I believe. I'm not sure what the difference is, but the cheapest place seems to be ebay. I just bought the inground version for my new gunite pool on ebay for about $400, b/c my builder wanted $1200 to add it to the aqualogic system which I was already getting. A little long winded here, but the aquatrol is the one you want to look for, for AG pools. Lots of info on Goldline's site . . .

http://www.goldlinecontrols.com

-SJohnson

---
    I'm still adding about 1/2 USG per 10 days to keep the pH in range. I assumed this was because our 10 year old pool was still curing, will I be adding this acid forever?
    ---

I've got the Jandy/Clormatic Aquapure. My pool is only 6 months old (IG) and I'm using 1/2 gallon a week (18k gallons). This brings it to 7.2 then it creeps up to 7.8 by the end of the week.

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

I doubt your pool is still curing. Adding acid is part of the equation when maintaining a salt water pool. 1/2 gal every 10 days is probably normal, especially during the hot summer months. However, I've found it levels out at around 7.8 and have left it there for a couple months during cooler months without problems.

This will be my 5th year with an AquaRite. During the hot months I do just as you in knocking it down to 7.2 every week or 10 days. Hope this helps, Tony

SJohnson is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst SJohnson 0

Tony,

5 years? Is that with the same cell? Any advice on cleaning the cell, etc. Do you shock with bleach?

Thanks,

-SJohnson

+ Reply to Thread