+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions on Polaris 165....

Default Opinions on Polaris 165....

Hello all -

Just wanting to get REAL opinions on the effectiveness of the Polaris 165 pool cleaner.

I have an IG 16x32 vinyl pool with sand filtration. Small debris but enough that I do not want to keep vacuming weekly - looking for a unit that will catch the few leaves and twigs and stir up any dirt, etc so that the regular filter can catch it.

Went to several local pool stores just to get a look and feel (and hopefully some advice) - all I got was nonsense.

Store # 1 indicated that the 165 was for above ground pool sonly and that it costs $365. HA - litrerature says plainly that it is for IG pools - guy didn't know what he was talking about so I left.

Store #2 said that the price was $249 and that this type was not suitable for an IG pool with a deep end - pushed me toward a higher price unit. However, the literature plainly says...and I quote " even if you have an uneven-bottom pool up to eight feet deep." Which I have.

What's the scoop? Anyone have one of these and using it with an IG pool with a deep end? Effectiveness? Eas of use? What did you pay? MSRP is $249 - I have found it online for $189 at www.poolsupply4less.com

Thanks,

Steve

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Opinions on Polaris 165....

I have one, but I replaced it with a Dolphin. It had NO problem in my deep end-- 5.5 feet. The 65 won't do deep ends, but the 165 will.

When it works, it works quite well. When it works...Polaris sent me a whole new set of guts.

The way it works is this:

At the bottom a jet of water acts as propulsion and a broom that "sweeps" debris into a catch-bag. This is such a simple mechanism that running down to 8' should be no problem. The piece on top drags the hose for the bottom jet around the pool in a random pattern. That's where problems occur. There are 4 or six jets that are used as thrusters in various combinations. This is all mechanical since it's not electric. This mechansim, when it functions correctly, is very effective. When it gets at all jammed or clogged has immediate disasterous effects on the performance--the unit will coil up the hose and get jammed in that position.

If there was a good way to clean it--like pouring vinegar thru, it would be livable, but there isn't. When this happens, Polaris should send you a new mechanism--they sent me one--but not when it's out of warranty.

So I guess I think it's too fragile a design and cannot be counted on to reliably clean your pool everytime, for years on end.
    Carl

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Default Re: Opinions on Polaris 165....

I just received a new internal mechanism for my 165, will put in this afternoon and see how it does. I had great results w/ mine for 2 seasons with only one complaint: it tended to miss one deep end corner. I can only remember 2 instances when it got tangled up on itself. However, I do not totally rely on this cleaner, as I usually manually vacuum a few times a month anyway.

I'd give it a B on overall cleaning performance, D for quality as mine only lasted 2 swim seasons. When I bought mine 2 years ago, it was only $189. Seems the price has spiked.

CaryB
    18x36 IG vinyl, 24K gal, 3'-8.5'

+ Reply to Thread