+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar Panels - Spring Leaking/Winterizing Problem

Default Solar Panels - Spring Leaking/Winterizing Problem

We're on our second brand of solar panels - and now need to replace them. Would like some recommendations on brands that withstand harsh winters, or some pointers on winterizing them please.

We have an 18x34 AG pool - DE filter/ Northstar 3/4 hp high efficiency pump - have 2 4x20' panels on a roof of a small shed right by our pool, with a Pentair Compool Lx220 Controller plumbed into the system. We have one panel on each side of the roof - are sloped for drainage.

We refuse to swim in water under 82-84 degrees - we love high 80's or low 90's, so it's a must that we run solar panels, complimented with a solar blanket to keep the heat in.

The first set of panels we had were Saturn Solar panels by Midwest - my husband tried to blow them out good at the end of the season with an air compressor - but obviously didn't work as it was like a huge sprinkler system when we started them up the next year, too much damage to repair.

Next we replaced them with Sunheater panels by Smartpool. I love the panel part of these solar panels - flexible and very easy to repair any leaks. The problem was the end pipes cracked over the winter and had to be replaced. I luckily had one extra panel that came damaged that I got to keep after they sent me a replacement - so we robbed the end pipes off it and replaced them and had a great season of heating with them. Now again - the end pipes cracked over the winter - but I have no more replacements, and them company no longer makes them. The cracks are too big to repair - have tried numerous times. So - it's back to replacing them again! Or does anyone know where I can find some replacement ends or how to make some?? It's a shame to replace the whole panels when we just need new end tubes.

My husband does not swim and it's a real job to get him to help me with anything having to do with the pool - so our solar panels are quite a sore subject at home, and would like this to be the last time we have to replace them! We are considering a homemade solar panel - I purchased the instructions off ebay - it's like one big coil of polyethelene tubing, looks fairly easy to construct - but am worrying once again about winterizing them!!

I'd appreciate any recommendations and some advice on how you winterize yours efficiently so you avoid leaking come spring opening.

I just opened our pool yesterday - been cold and rained forever here in NE it seemed. I need to get right on this as we have relatives come every 4th to swim and want a warm pool! Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
    Donya
    Sincerely,
    Donya (huskerfan)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Solar Panels - Spring Leaking/Winterizing Problem

You could look into plastic welding.

I STRONGLY recommend you roll up and store your panels in heated basement over the winter--that's what I used to do. Roll them on a really hot, sunny day so they are soft and flexible, then TIE them in the roll.
    Carl

Aren't these systems supposed to be self-draining? I have a six panel array on my roof and they have been there for at least 7 years with no problems. They drain every time the pump shuts off. They have been covered with snow and ice for a week at a time and still no problems. I wish I could be sure of the brand but they look like they might be the Solar Industries brand.
    34 X 22/15 inground vinyl w/ Hayward equipment

I transposed the names - our first set we had were sunheaters by smartpool - a really rigid stiff plastic - and if you got a leak you had to plug off the whole tube. The set we have up now are the MIDWEST SATURN SOLAR ones! I really like them - the panels are made of a more flexible rubber-like material, and are really easy to repair should you get a leak on the panel itself. Just wish they still made them so I could order parts. GREAT IDEA on the plastic welding - will check around town to see if I can find someone to do it - husband welds but can't plastic weld.

You're absolutely right - if we took them in before winter it would solve all our problems - but I'm scared of heights and can't get on the roof to take them down, so would have to rely on my husband to. I wish I had a husband who liked to swim and help with the pool stuff - that would solve a lot of my problems, but unfortunately I have to do 98 percent of the pool upkeep. In the instruction manual - they are made to withstand the elements and can be left out all winter - but they need to be drained sufficiently. Some how we aren't getting them drained completely. How do you guys get yours blown out good- do you have some kind of special attachment to go on the end of the air compressor hose? I know you have a different kind - that you can walk on around your pool I believe, like a deck, if memory serves me right, Carl - how do you winterize yours?

One other solution my husband did think of - was to take the end tube completely off and use the barbs that we repair them with and extra tubing which I have a lot of, and just connect each tube from one half of the panel - to a tube on the other half of the panel. So essentially instead of having a straight tube on the end of the panel - it would almost look like a rainbow of the smaller tubes all connected to each other. That's hard to explain- hope you know what I mean. Will try to find a plastic welder first - but it's another option.

If any dealers out there are reading this thread and happen to have any of the Midwest Saturn Solar panels or any of their parts on hand - please let me know!!

Sincerely,
    Donya
    Sincerely,
    Donya (huskerfan)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Dang! I just lost my nearly completed reply on plastic welding!

Here's the kit I have:

http://devildogtools.com/mimo6plwekit.html

I don't remember where I bought it, though.

This is as cheap as it gets--like a fancy soldering iron.

Better ones use hot air. Plastic welding is a complete craft, similar too but different from metal welding. I'm really lousy at it and just a beginner.

If there's an auto body shop you like, talk to them. Plastic welding came to their industy many years ago--with plastic bumpers and panels to reduce weight and maintenance.
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Donya,
    When you drain and blow them out for the winter you need a lot of air volume such as a shop vac. Air compressors are designed for higher pressure, lower volume. My 4x20 mat has been laying out for quite a few winters now simply because it's a dog to roll it up. Shop vacs are usually designed to primarily suck so if you jury rig to the lowest point with duct tape or something that should work. You need to get all the water out of the tubes and side tanks. Don't know how yours are configured but you do need to somehow drain the lowest point.
    Hope this helps.
    Al

Rather than drain them why not fill them with RV type anti-freeze. Just pump them up full of the stuff and then they won't freeze.

+ Reply to Thread