+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loud Pump

Default Loud Pump

I have a PacFab Challenger 1hp High Flow pump that is making a loud whining noise. It is also leaking water underneath, where the pump motor is bolted to the impeller.

the motor indicates it is a 1.65SF Centurion Challenger

I believe this is the original motor on the pool, which was installed in 1994... could it be the bearings? is it best to fix or replace the motor or the entire hosing (motor and impeller section)?

Thanks.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Loud Pump

Sounds like the shaft seal has 'gone south' on you, if you replace that the motor should stop dripping However, the noise may or may not diminish, but at least you'll have solved the problem, and can then decide if you want a new motor
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Well, I took the item apart (for the most part)... it has a piece of plastic tubing about 2" long stuck in the impeller, along with some of those air soft bb's.

How do I remove the impeller from the motor/shaft? I removed the reverse threaded screw without any problems, but the impeller, back of the housing (where the motor bolts too) won't come off.

Do I just need to gradually pry it off? Is there a seal behind this where it may be leaking?

Thanks.

Here is the impeller side, with the screw removed, but the impeller won't come off. Does this impeller have to unscrew from the motor shaft as well? if so, how do I keep the motor shaft from spinning?

markphin is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst markphin 1 star

In your pic, pop that littler round nut off the back of the motor. This will give you access to the motor shaft. It should be flat at that point, so you can hold witha pir of chennel locks and then spin off the impeller.

+ Reply to Thread