+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Super Pump Really Hot...HELP?

Default Hayward Super Pump Really Hot...HELP?

I have an inground pool with a 7 year old hayward super pump. It seems to be pumping fine -but when I was at the filter, I noticed sort of hot metal smell. nothing burning, just a strange "heat" smell. My motor is REALLY hot! It's not shutting off though.

I took off the four screws that hold it to the pump and cleaned the impeller at the suggestion of the pool store. It did have a lot of stuff in it! However, now it spins easily....and it's STILL hot! It gets very hot after running just a few minutes.

I'm really upset because my pool is so close to being swimmable - just need to get rid of the last of the algae. The pool guy is going to take days to get here....if I'm lucky.....

I don't know how to take the rest of it apart - if it even can be taken apart. It looks like there are more screws to actually get inside to all the little pieces. I just cleaned and spun the impeller from where I took it apart at the pump.

How hot should it get? Am I being paranoid.....? But I don't want to run the risk of burning out the motor if it's too hot!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward Super Pump Really Hot...HELP?

I know my Super Pump gets very warm, especially on full speed (it's 2 speed), not too hot to touch but very warm, and it's been running for 6 years that way. Is it too hot to touch?
    Carl

Well, yes, if you keep your hand on it, it does get really hot, so that you would have to take it off after several seconds. I just never noticed before if it gets hot or not - nor the metal smell. It has little slits in the side - should there be air coming out? There doesn't seem to be.....it' s not shutting off, which is odd.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Yes on the air. Should be a good blast coming out the rear vents. There is a fan that sucks air in from the front vent holes and blows out the rear, or possibly the other way around. My first thought is critters decided to build a home and the air passages are plugged. Pull off the back cover and see what you find. If you have access to an air compressor try blowing it out.
    Al

So the back cover is opposite from where the pump itself is, correct? It should be as simple as unscrewing it? Sorry, I'm pretty dumb with stuff like this!
    kelly

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Take a look at the pic in this thread.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4800
    The air in mine flows from the front (pump end) to the back through passages between the windings. That's how it's cooled. If critters got in there and built something I think about the only way to clean out the crud is with high pressure air. By trying to clean stuff put by poking wire through the passages you run the risk of damaging the insulation and causing a short. Then the motor is kaput.
    Hope this helps.
    Al
    BTW: that small black thinggy at top center is the thermal cutout. The big black thinggy to the left is the starting capacitor.

Check the voltage, it might be low which would make it draw high amps and run hot. If the voltage is low call your power company, they may need to adjust the transformer out on the pole.

+ Reply to Thread