+ Reply to Thread

Thread: polaris 380 leaking from wall fitting

Question polaris 380 leaking from wall fitting

My Polaris 380 is visibly leaking water from the wall fitting. I am not sure if this is what is causing my Polaris to not run...but maybe it is a start. What can I do to stop water leaking from the wall fitting??? The only thing I can think of is to buy a new one or wrap in water tape and try again...any suggestions??

Smile Re: polaris 380 leaking from wall fitting

Well I figured out my problem and thought I would post the solution incase it could help someone else. I did a rebuild kit on my polaris 2 years ago, but last year it would not run very well. I would hardly move across the pool.

So, I was all set to go shell out $700 for a new one, but decided replace the wall fitting that was also leaking. That did not do the trick. So, I took the sides of the polaris off, hooked up a garden hose to the polaris hose to see if the water was getting to where it needed to -- I discovered that the o-ring to the inlet was leaking. $2 and its all fixed. the thing is well over 10 years old and now its racing across the pool.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: polaris 380 leaking from wall fitting

Thank you for posting your solution--I'm sure that it will help someone else who is having the same problems. I haven't had that particular problem with mine yet, but now I know what to do if/when it happens!

Janet

Interesting that you brought this up. I just noticed that my Polaris was not moving around the pool as well as it should. I checked the hose fitting into the side of the pool and all seemed well. However, I noticed that the pressure relief valve (I assume that's what it is; looks like a black disk) one the male end of the hose fitting was pumping out more water than I ever noticed.

Is this a sign I need to do some maintenance to the cleaner itself. Are parts not moving as freely as they should, thereby restricting water flow through the cleaner and instead forcing it out the relief valve?

Chris

markphin is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst markphin 1 star

Try taking the cleaner apart. It comes apart fairly easily. Once you have the blue body dis-assembled, you will see the guts of the operation. there are a bunch of small hoses running throughout that lead to the venturi tubes. There are wire ties that clamp the hoses to the fittings. Over time, these ties deteriorate and break, thus causing the hose to slip off the fittings which in turn sprays water throughout the inside of the unit rather than through the venturis which powers the unit. You need to replace the wire ties. While you are in there, you may want to inspect the belts and bearings, as these don't last forever. You can buy rebuild kits on line for $100 or so. Be careful when taking apart as there are many parts, but if you take your time and pay attention, it's pretty easy.

Thanks, Mark. I'll get in there and take a look. I suppose it could be one of those hoses having an obstruction too.

+ Reply to Thread