+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ionizer??

IMherDad is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst IMherDad 0

Default Ionizer??

Has anyone tried to use one of the Ionizer's that are out there on the market? They claim that you can use up to 90 less chemcials. Of course you need to check the copper and silver once a week to make sure you have the right mix running.

Watermom is offline Super Moderator Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default No to copper

Go read Ben's FAQ above on this topic.

Watermom

PopcornGirl is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst PopcornGirl 0

Hi, I'm new here, but I might be able to help with this...
    We built our first pool 5 years ago and decided to go with a copper ionization system. We have young children and the idea of using fewer chemicals greatly appealed to us. I could end the story here by saying that we are in our second year of using chlorine but I think you are wanting/needing more information, so I'll elaborate...

At first, the copper was a dream! Sparkling, clear water, no chlorine smell, no dried-out hair... Sure, it was a little time-consuming (ionization can take HOURS, even DAYS, depending on your raw water chemistry!), but we thought we were doing the right thing, so we were persistent. And I won't lie; it was very nice. No ear infections, no faded swimsuits... We LOVED it!!! But, then came the winter of our discontent... I was pregnant and could not, physically, keep up with the demands of the copper pool. My dh had enough on his plate with a job promotion & helping take care of our older 2 while I lay sick on the sofa. So the pool was essentially neglected from November to March (it was a VERY rough pregnancy). I mean TOTALLY Neglected.
    Not that big a deal for a chlorine pool (vacuum & shock the heck out of it), but a MAJOR ORDEAL for a copper pool!
    It took FOREVER to get the copper levels high enough to tackle the green algae, but even after we did, we realized that we had a new problem: BLACK ALGAE had taken hold during our neglect and the copper was NOT working! I tried EVERYTHING. Nothing I did worked. And I never could get my copper levels high enough or leveled out like the first summer of our open pool. ???
    I did everything my ionization dealer told me to do, to no avail...
    Finally, in desparation, I decided to switch to chlorine *temporarily* because I had a new baby and was too tired to fool with the ionizer any more.
    Can I just say that I have NEVER looked back?
    I LOVE having a cholorine pool now! It is SO easy to take care of and I'm sorry, but it is NOT much more expensive than the copper pool... especially if you consider that I was constantly buying new things to try to *fix* the problems with the copper pool.
    With my chlorine pool, I keep it simple and don't add a bunch of stuff I don't need (thanks, in LARGE part, to Ben and his Pool Solutions website!). We have had very little trouble since switching and the trouble we HAVE had seems to be stemming from COPPER RESIDUE in my pool system!
    Anyway, just thought you'd like a little perspective from someone who's 'been there; done that.'
    Good luck whatever you decide!
    Summer

Default Silver/Copper Ionisation

Hi All,
    From my spelling of Ionisation, you will I expect gather that I'm from the UK! I live in the county of Sussex, which is on the south coast - the warmest bit.
    Our pool here is in operation from about now (Easter-ish) up until maybe November as we have solar heating.
    Any way, I have the excellent Ag/Cu Ionisation unit from Carefree Clearwater (www.carefreeclearwater.com) installed. It's great. I imported it from the USA about 3 years ago. I took the winter debris cover off today as it happens and my water is clear. My pump has not been run since mid-November last year. I have a hopper-end pool that is 28' x 14'' and I run the ion unit on the minimum setting when the pump runs all through the summer.
    When I winterise the pool, I run the unit on max for a couple of days to boost the ion content of the pool up to about 7 ppb (norm is 3ppb). The ions in the water do not dissipate like Cl does but are used up as needed over the winter. I use an egg-cup full of a non-copper (important) based algaecide in conjunction with this and this will last all through the winter. On start-up, I run the pump for 2 days with the ioniser on full to get the silver/copper content back to about 3 ppb then back it off to minimum and the pump the goes on the timer, running from 9 am - 5 pm each day.
    In the summer, I generally rely on the ionisation but about every ten days or so I add one large Cl tablet to the skimmer if the water looses its sparkle. Or if my middle son is around, I throw in about a third of a gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide as he has Psoriasis which is irritated by Cl.
    I test even in hot weather (hot for us is mid-70s!) I only test the water with the kit supplied every Sunday morning. Unlike when I used Cl when sometimes I needed to test twice a day. Apart from that, one small bucket of Cl tablets will last for a year unlike the first year I had the pool when I went through 2 lage bukets of Cl tablets - in the UK they're about $80 equivalent per bucket. Cu is more environmentally friendly too.
    The water has a wonderfully refreshing quality and under a microscope has less microbial bugs than the water that comes out of the taps! The properties of copper has long been known as an algaecide and the Romans used to put silver coins in their drinking water urns to keep it fresh although they didn't know why it worked they just knew that it did.
    The pool is a lot less hassle than Cl. Chlorine has the ability to de-nature protien (that's us!), consequently, eyes and nose membranes, skin, hair and nails do not suffer, textiles do not fade and the water is no at all aggressive towards pool equipment. The only tendancy my pool has is to need a drop of acid now and then to keep the pH at 7.2 but apart from that - job done. I'll not be going back to solely using Cl. In fact I may be moving home soon and when I build my new pool - yes you guessed it - Ag/Cu is the way to go for me.
    My best...
    Alan,
    (Prytaneion)

waterbear is offline --trial user-- Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by prytaneion
    Hi All,
    From my spelling of Ionisation, you will I expect gather that I'm from the UK! I live in the county of Sussex, which is on the south coast - the warmest bit.
    Our pool here is in operation from about now (Easter-ish) up until maybe November as we have solar heating.
    Any way, I have the excellent Ag/Cu Ionisation unit from Carefree Clearwater (www.carefreeclearwater.com) installed. It's great. I imported it from the USA about 3 years ago. I took the winter debris cover off today as it happens and my water is clear. My pump has not been run since mid-November last year. I have a hopper-end pool that is 28' x 14'' and I run the ion unit on the minimum setting when the pump runs all through the summer.
    When I winterise the pool, I run the unit on max for a couple of days to boost the ion content of the pool up to about 7 ppb (norm is 3ppb). The ions in the water do not dissipate like Cl does but are used up as needed over the winter. I use an egg-cup full of a non-copper (important) based algaecide in conjunction with this and this will last all through the winter. On start-up, I run the pump for 2 days with the ioniser on full to get the silver/copper content back to about 3 ppb then back it off to minimum and the pump the goes on the timer, running from 9 am - 5 pm each day.
    In the summer, I generally rely on the ionisation but about every ten days or so I add one large Cl tablet to the skimmer if the water looses its sparkle. Or if my middle son is around, I throw in about a third of a gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide as he has Psoriasis which is irritated by Cl.
    I test even in hot weather (hot for us is mid-70s!) I only test the water with the kit supplied every Sunday morning. Unlike when I used Cl when sometimes I needed to test twice a day. Apart from that, one small bucket of Cl tablets will last for a year unlike the first year I had the pool when I went through 2 lage bukets of Cl tablets - in the UK they're about $80 equivalent per bucket. Cu is more environmentally friendly too.
    The water has a wonderfully refreshing quality and under a microscope has less microbial bugs than the water that comes out of the taps! The properties of copper has long been known as an algaecide and the Romans used to put silver coins in their drinking water urns to keep it fresh although they didn't know why it worked they just knew that it did.
    The pool is a lot less hassle than Cl. Chlorine has the ability to de-nature protien (that's us!), consequently, eyes and nose membranes, skin, hair and nails do not suffer, textiles do not fade and the water is no at all aggressive towards pool equipment. The only tendancy my pool has is to need a drop of acid now and then to keep the pH at 7.2 but apart from that - job done. I'll not be going back to solely using Cl. In fact I may be moving home soon and when I build my new pool - yes you guessed it - Ag/Cu is the way to go for me.
    My best...
    Alan,
    (Prytaneion)
    The biggest problem is that if you have enought copper/silver in your pool to act as a sanitizer you have enought to stain the pool or people!
    Second biggest problem is that there is some debate as to whether the metals will kill viruses, chlorine will.
    Third biggest problem is that metal ions are a much slower sanitizer than chlorine and you run a much higher risk of being exposed to pathogens which is why in the US they recommend running a .5ppm residual FC with ionizers. Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxidizer and does not provide residual sanitation much like non chlorine shock which is also an oxygen based oxidizer!
    I would like to know how copper is more environmentally friendlyl. In the US it is classified as a pesticide and can kill invertebrate freshwater and marine life in minute amounts!

Many (if not most) people on this board maintain their pools with bleach, borax and baking soda, save a lot of money, and have healthy water in their pools. Take some time and read the board and the sister website at http://www.poolsolutons.com There is a lot of good info here>
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-07-2006 at 11:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread