+ Reply to Thread

Thread: close friends cloudy pool

Default close friends cloudy pool

A friend stoped by and said how nice my pool looked even though we had 11/2 inch of rain.. I told him that I dumped in 10 gal of liquid shocker and let the pool run for 2 days before putting it back on the timer.. I gave him 5 gal and told him to dump it in that night and check it in the morn. ( I didn't ask him what he already dumped in the pool ) it ended up in the last week he put in 8 lbs of powered shocker. now he has no clorine reading at all, I had him get a water test before I posted this question but they didn't test for cya... I'm now involved and want to help him fix the problem since I opened my big mouth.. here's the rest of the numbers.. any help would be great..
    fac-1.0
    tac-2.0
    ph--7.2
    ta--50
    that all the pool store gave him
    13,500 gal
    above ground liner pool
    Last edited by bigracedad; 06-01-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: close friends cloudy pool

Need the CYA reading.

But the FC of 1.0 and TC of 2.0 means there's a CC of 1.0--and that needs to be eliminated to <0.2 so you'll probably have to raise the TC to 10.0 to do that.

But that's guessing. If your friend has used pucks for years that number may be as high as 25ppm.

Get the CYA reading.
    Carl

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I don't know what kind of "liquid shocker" you gave him, but even if it's plain 6% bleach (which is what I strongly recommend he use), 5 gallons in a pool that size should raise the Cl to above 20 ppm--and if he had already added chlorine in some other form, the Cl level would be possibly high enough to bleach his liner. It would be a much better idea to know the CYA reading, as Carl said, and then calculate how much chlorine to add rather than just guessing at it.

Janet

I now have some updated numbers from my friends pool
    tdb-1000
    cya-30
    total cl=.7
    free cl--.6
    alk------65
    ph-------7.2

another problem we are having is rain,,, about every 12 hours we're having heavy rain and storms
    forcast says on and off rain till mo I had them go and get 10 gal of clorine and wait till I call with how much to add...I use 12% clorine in 5 gal buckets so I let them use my buckets
    thanks marvin

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

With a 13,500 gallon pool with a CYA of 30, you want to shock to 15 ppm. If you're using 12% chlorine, you need to add 1 gallon and 3 quarts of the chlorine to get to a Cl of 15 ppm. I would maintain the shock level as long as you're having the heavy rains--I do that in my pool. Once it's at shock level, then each 2 cups will raise the Cl by 1 ppm, so after you test the water, that should help you calculate how much more to add to get back up to 15. The more often you test and add to get back up to 15, the faster the pool will clear up. Backwash the filter, and run the pump 24/7, watching the pressure and backwashing as necessary, and the pool will clear.

Once it's cleared up, you need to maintain your Cl level between 3 ppm and 6 ppm to keep it clear.

Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

And, to add to what Janet advised --- keep an eye on your ph. Epecially with all the rain, your ph may drop. Ideal ph is between 7.4-7.6. 7.2 is OK, 7.0 is the bare minimum. Anything lower than 7.0 is acidic and will damage your pool. You can use 20 Mule Team Borax (in the laundry aisle at Walmart) to raise your ph if you need to.

+ Reply to Thread