+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maintaining FC level, help me understand.

Default Maintaining FC level, help me understand.

11,000 VL inground pool-

CYA 40
    FC now 0..... pool is clear. i ran out of my taylor drops but recived them today. 1.42 gallons of 6% will add ?

and once my FC reaches its proper level how much bleach to keep it where it needs to be-

thanks-

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Maintaining FC level, help me understand.

In your pool, 3 cups of 6% will raise your FC by 1 ppm. Don't have time or brain cells to calculate it right now, but 1.42 gallons should raise it by roughly 6 ppm. Your shock level with a CYA of 40 is 15 ppm, and afterward you should maintain between 3 and 6 ppm.

Janet

Holy moly your right

FC of 6.5 after adding 1.42 gals.....

I can do this.....

thanks-

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You can do this--it's not very hard! And it's a LOT cheaper than the pool store route!!

Happy swimming...........

Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by freddyttt View Post
    Holy moly your right

FC of 6.5 after adding 1.42 gals
    That Janet ......she's such a smart girl! Gives good advice, like always!

My CYA is hanging at 40 and im maintaining between a 3-6 on FC...... my PH has climbed a bit to 8.

pool is looking good.

A lot of pools have their "own" pH that they like to stabilize at--mine likes to stay around 7.8 if I don't fight it--and my kids say that the 7.8 is easier on their eyes than the lower pH anyway. Keep in mind, though, that if you start fighting algae again that the lower pH helps the chlorine be more effective, although you never want to get it lower than 7.0, and I would definitely stay above 7.2.

Janet

Hi Pool is looking great-

CYA still at 40 and i am finding it easy to maintain the proper FC level-3-6.

quick question. im going out on Holiday for 10 days and dont think i can find anyone to add the Clorine to the pool. can i just throw a few Pucks in my chlorinator while im gone.?

thanks-

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You can, but remember that the pucks (trichlor) contain cya and thus will cause your cya level to rise which in turn will require you to maintain higher chlorine levels to keep algae at bay. They are also very acidic and will drive your ph down. If you cannot find anybody to throw some bleach in every few days while you are gone and do have to use the pucks, be sure to check your cya level when you return and then adjust your required chlorine levels. Also, before you go, take your ph level up to maybe 8.0 or so to give it some room to fall without dropping below 7.0 before you return.

Someone else may chime in here with more advice for you. I know that Al, (Poconos) was out of town recently for several weeks and did use pucks. Maybe he can give you some more specifics about what the change in his cya and ph levels were during that time.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread