+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Sun Ray DC200

Default Hayward Sun Ray DC200

Has anyone tried using the Hayward Sun Ray pool cleaner? It is on ebay for $100 and I was wondering if it works.

Default Re: Hayward Sun Ray DC200

Did you end up getting this model?

If so, are you having trouble with the unit making it to the shallow side of the pool or getting stuck on the return drain on the bottom of the pool?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I know nothing about this unit but hopefully somebody will be along who does. Just wanted to say welcome to you and hope you enjoy the forum. BTW -- love your user name!

Isshin,

As I previously mentioned in this thread, I have the DC200 unit. I have made it my mission over the past 3 weeks to learn about this unit, learn about pool vacuums generally, and pool pump systems and how they support the various vacuums.

My DC200 came with scant instructions. There were enough directions to get the unit assembled. There were not enough for a newbie like me understand how the pool system works and how to ensure the DC200 is operating efficiently. The fact that I am a newbie is not Hayward's fault, per se, it's just indicative of what you're going to get.

The Hayward website offered a web form for questions, but it has been 2+ weeks and I have not received a response. Hayward loses points for this too.

My Hayward DC200 keeps getting stuck on the pool return grate, it doesn't climb the walls, and it doesn't get to the deep end. Someone on Amazon suggested that I cut off the suction at the pool return grate to help with this. One of the members here told me how to do that. After tinkering with it, this could not have been the issue in my pool (because the suction was already diverted 100% to the skimmer intake). So the problem with the unit getting stuck at the deepest part of my pool seems to be related to the unit itself. And if there's another possible reason, I wouldn't know what it is because the directions and Hayward's website are both lacking.

The last possibility for my issue is the fact that my pool has a very sharp decline into the deep end. It's possible that the angle is too high for this little unit to get out. It would also be consistent with my observation that the unit doesn't climb walls as their advertising suggests it will.

I hate to post a negative review. The price is right, but the performance slacks. If your pool is shallow, maybe it will work well for you.

The best part of the experience is the fact that I now know pretty much every way that these units get suction and are supposed to work. Now I have to find a replacement that will do the job.

+ Reply to Thread