+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump leak?

Default Pump leak?

I have a Sta-Rite sand filter, when it is set to 'filter' it is also leaking out the waste side. My flat blue waste hose fills up with water. I have backwashed twice, vacuumed to waste, and flipped back to filter and still get a leak.
    Any ideas??

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Pump leak?

You may have a bad or mis-installed "Spider" gasket in your multi-way valve, or it may have a crack.

Either that or it's all plumbed wrong.
    Carl

This is the 5th year of operation so I am guessing it was installed correctly.
    Do they wear out?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

They don't really wear out but sometimes a rib will lift out of the plastic channel and not seal right. They're easy to take apart and check. Put the handle in a mid position, that relieves pressure on the gasket, then take out the 6 bolts. or screws. The whole top assembly lifts out and you'll quickly see what the problem is. Nothing should fly apart. Do mark the top and bottom sections so you get it aligned right when reassembling. Let us know what you find and we'll work it from there. Whenever I switch mine now the pump is off and I press the handle slowly and let any water flow where it wants. Sometimes a rush of water even with the pump off may lift a rib if it isn't glued in solidly.
    Al

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Shouldn't the lines be turned off or blocked off, first?
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

If the filter is below water level as is usually the case in an above ground, yes, block the lines somehow. I assumed the filter was above water level.
    Al

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Bnelson View Post
    This is the 5th year of operation so I am guessing it was installed correctly.
    Do they wear out?
    Mine has to be replaced every couple of years--something about the way my system was installed lends it to cracking and crumpling fairly often. Just had to replace it again last week.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread