+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sparkle Up

Default Sparkle Up

Bioguard Sparkle Up - anyone ever try it in a sand filter? Is it worth the money ...........about $27 bucks for 1.5 lbs. Instructions says it would take about 4 cups for my size filter, so maybe get about 2.5 servings out of a container. I've used DE in the past but you need to be very careful .........this product says that it does not contain any DE. I was going to give it a try this season and was curious to know if anyone has had any experience with it in a sand filter application?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Sparkle Up

It is just one of the many cellulose based DE substitutes that are on the market, like Filter Aid and ZeoFiber. They work but are expensive. DE is much cheaper and also works in sand filters as a filter aid.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

The pool chem industry is constantly trying to develop "exciting " products you'll spend a bundle on. They take ordinary stuff and re-pack it and charge a fortune.

pH Up! is nothing but soda ash, ie, sodium carbonate, same chemical stuff as Arm&Hammer Washing Soda (in the yellow box) that costs on $0.79/lb.

T/A Raiser is nothing but baking soda--Arm&Hammer in the orange box.

Sand in filters doesn't "wear out" If properly maintained, the sand lasts forever--I'm just starting my 7th season and Poconos is on season 12 or 13--with the same sand. 1/3 to 1/2 cup of DE powder in the sand filterwill do the same as the expensive additives--and I'm STILL on the same 10 lb box I bought at the end of 2005, I think? I about $8 or $9 for it and I have just less than half a box.

There are only 4 pool store chems for which there is no sub:
    1) Polyquat algaecide
    2) Cyanuric Acid (Stabilizer/CYA)
    3) Dry Acid (Safer than Muriatic acid)
    4) Filter sand (not really a chem)
    Carl

Thanks Carl ............ thanks Evan ............. you guys really know your stuff!

What is DE?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

DE is a type of filter media. It stands for Diatomaceous Earth and is a porous white powder that is used in some pool filters. It can filter out very tiny particles and really cleans the water. It does do a great job, but in my opinion, is not as easy as maintaining a sand filter. Several sand filter owners like me do routinely add a very small amount of DE to their sand filters to help it catch the really small stuff that the sand wouldn't filter out alone. If you do this little trick, however, only add a very small amount. Only enough to raise your filter pressure by 1psi. I think I usually only add about a half a cup. (I have a 24 ft. AG pool with a 200 lb. sand filter.) The pressure rise isn't noticed immediately, so wait a bit after you add it before deciding to add more. If you do happen to add too much and cause too much of a pressure rise, you can always backwash your filter.

If my pool is up and running, how do you add DE to your sand filter w/o taking all the fittings off, loosing water, etc????
    Bekka

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

It can be added slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running. Not too much DE. I assume you are adding it to help the sand filter filter out tiny stuff. Only add enough to make the pressure rise by 1 psi. It sometimes doesn't rise immmediately. Wait several minutes before deciding to add more or you'll end up with too much. If that does happen, backwash it out and try and smaller amount. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread