+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool liner and chlorine bleach

mohawk is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mohawk 0

Default Pool liner and chlorine bleach

I have been using regular chlorine bleach for sanitizer in my pool from the beginning-which is only 4 years now. This spring my pool lost all it's water and after taking off the cover I found a 4" horizontal tear at the bottom where the seam is. I repaired the seam and waited a couple of days to rehang the liner since the wind decided to blow it off. While hanging the liner I ran across another 18" rip right on the seam and I was wondering if the pool store knew I was using bleach if they would still cover the seam separation? Does using regular liquid bleach nullify warranties?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Pool liner and chlorine bleach

From my experience, the warranty covers seam separation and darned little else. However, let's define seam separation, as the manufacturer views it, if the liner tears along the seam, but the 2 pieces of liner are still attached, it's NOT seam failure. They only count it if the 2 pieces of liner become unbonded

When I've had to replace liners for warrantied seam failure, I cut out the failed area and send it to the manufacturer. I have never been asked about water chemistry nor sanitizer, the seam failure is obvious and pool chemistry apparently plays little or no roll.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

mohawk is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mohawk 0

Thanks Waste for posting a reply. The pool co. maintenance guy took pictures to send into Ester Williams Pools. He told me it was seam separation and that they would be replacing the liner. I never told him what I use to sanitize my pool cuz it's not the usual product they have on their shelf. I hope they plan on paying for the install too.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

You shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for warranty work - it's up to the PB to get reimbursed for working on a failed liner. (I'll correct myself here and say that the liner warranty is prorated - so you may have to cough up a couple hund )

I gotta say that I'm happy it is a warrantied issue!

I hope you have a wonderful pool season once the new liner is installed
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

The rule of such things is never divulge anything you aren't legally obligated to disclose. If they don't ask, don't tell them. Even if they do, LC (Liquid Chlorine) does no damage pool liners any more than Tri-Chlor or Di-Chlor. The chlorine ions in the water are identical no matter the source.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread