+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need to replace pool water every 5 yrs????

Default Need to replace pool water every 5 yrs????

My pool company claims I should replace the pool water since it has been 5 years even though I do not have any problems thanks to all of you and your good advice. Have you heard of this before?

Thanks!!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Need to replace pool water every 5 yrs????

No.
    One of the chemistry people will chime in but as far as I know the only reasons to replace water is if one or more of the chemical concentrations gets too high and out of control. Such as, using Trichlor tablets for chlorination causes CYA to keep climbing since CYA generally doesn't go away. Using Cal Hypo will keep raising the calcium level. In those cases dilution is the preferred method to reduce concentration.
    Al

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

yes, bececause TDS (total dissolved solids) build up. This is what Ben calls a TEKTAT--Things Everyone Knows That Aren't True. In other words, it is a fallacy that is entrenched in the pool industry. It's not the TDS level that can affect water quality but what is IN the TDS. If it's mostly sodium chloride it's not going to have much effect at all but if it's very high levels of CYA then you are going to be having all kinds of problems!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yes, I've heard of it. I've also heard of The Great Pumpkin, but like the gents said, that doesn't make it real.
    Carl

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

If you've been using bleach or chlorinating liquid as your source of chlorine, then if you have been adding around 2 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) per day, this adds about 100 ppm salt per month. So if you've got 6-month swim seasons, then after 5 years the chlorine has added 3000 ppm salt -- about the amount found in most saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools.

The above assumes no dilution of the water, so no backwashing of filters, no rain with overflow, no significant splash-out, no partial drain and later refill for winter closing.

Richard

+ Reply to Thread