+ Reply to Thread

Thread: air in return jets and my ordeal

Default air in return jets and my ordeal

I believe it is my 5th or 6th season having a pool. I opened the pool 2 days ago. Hooked everything up and turned on the pump. I had air bubbles coming out floor and wall returns. There was air coming out if I moved all of the suction to the skimmer or the main drain. I surmised the air leak was at the pump or filter. I proceeded to take the filter to clean and lube the rubber ring. While I was taking the filter apart I hit the pressure gage and broke it off.

After an hour getting the threaded piece out I was off to the pool store. I found out that pool side of Jacuzzi went out of business and parts are limited. I bought a plastic T with the air bleeder valve for $31. My guess is the part cost about .25 cents to make. It is all plastic, with a wing nut to let the air out. I am sure I could have put something together at home depot, but my pool was ready to go and I did not want to mess around.

Put the filter back together and still I had bubbles coming out. After some trouble shooting I believed the air was coming in from the drain plugs. The o rings were broke and cracked. I tighten down the plug and broke off the head of one of the plugs. Again, after a hour of getting the threaded part out of the hole I had a filter that would not hold water.

I put the threaded part of the plug in backwards and used silicone sealant to make it water tight.

Problem fixed. No more air bubbles

No question here. Just venting a little.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: air in return jets and my ordeal

In order of pricyness:
    Boat shops
    Harley shops
    Pool stores.
    Glad you finally got it fixed.
    Feel free to vent any time.
    Al

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    In order of pricyness:
    Boat shops
    Harley shops
    Pool stores.
    Glad you finally got it fixed.
    Feel free to vent any time.
    Al
    You forgot Mercedes and BMW stores......
    Carl

The first year when the pool company opened my pool, they put something on the plastic plugs before they screwed them into the pump. It was thick like caulk and dried into a hard rubber glob. at the end of the season when I unscrewed the plugs the I could just pull the glob of stuff off.

any Idea what they put on the plugs?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

My guess is silicone seal. Forms a good thread seal and can be peeled off like you said.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by sunofthebeach View Post
    The first year when the pool company opened my pool, they put something on the plastic plugs before they screwed them into the pump. It was thick like caulk and dried into a hard rubber glob. at the end of the season when I unscrewed the plugs the I could just pull the glob of stuff off.

any Idea what they put on the plugs?
    Plumbers putty.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm with Isshin on this. I use silicone grease on my o-rings and plugs at the end of the season and they don't get that plug. But the plumber's liquid on the solar panel connections does.
    Carl

I started thinking about it and it's called plumber's dope. Plumbers putty is the stuff they use to mount sinks and stuff.

I had air for a year and it ended up being a brass anchor from my winter cover lodged in the suction line where it made a 90 degree bend.

By the way, I had to cut a 1ft square dig down to the elbow cut the line to remove it.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-30-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: merge sequential posts

+ Reply to Thread