+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pest control - Mosquito Magnet?

Default Pest control - Mosquito Magnet?

I would love to spend time around the pool outside in the evening however we're next to some wetlands and there are tons of mosquitos and other pests flying around. I also have some other kind of bugs that are very small gnat size flying things that when the house windows are open, they somehow wriggle thru the window screens and end up in the house, buzzing around the lights.

I have heard of the Mosquito Magnets, are they any good? Do they work better then the fashioned bug zappers? Are there any other devices that work well?

IMherDad is offline ** No working email address ** IMherDad 0

Default Re: Pest control - Mosquito Magnet?

I've seen the Mosquito Magnet a few years ago. They were showing how many mosquito's it had captured in just a few hours and it was pretty amazing. I haven't not tried one out yet due to the cost but we may purchase one for my wife's dad who lives in eastern Arkansas. They have tons of flooded rice fields and mosquitos that when they bite it feels more like a bee sting.

Sam's Club has one called a Power Trap Plus ($333) and it covers about an acre and half. If it works in Arkansas then it will work anywhere.

I have torches placed around the pool that I fill with citronella lamp oil and it works. I have four placed at intervals around the pool and it keeps the bugs away, also adds a nice atmosphere.

Wayne

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

You could also try putting up a few bat houses. Bats can consume an incredible number of mosquitos.

If it's really bad, you can build a screened room around the pool. That's what is done a lot in FL. Lots of bugs there!

Robert

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Wasn't there something using Dawn detergent as bait?
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Wasn't there something using Dawn detergent as bait?
    It was Lemon Fresh Joy and it's false. Check out the Urban Legend Reference page.
    http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

EricF is offline ** No working email address ** EricF 0

I have a mosquito magnet. The first year it caught a LOT of mosquitoes. The second year, not so many. The third year, very few. Here is my theory, and it is ONLY a THEORY.

I believe it attracts a certain number of species of mosquitoes, and can pretty much eliminate them. However, if there are multiple species in your area, as there are in ours, it is not that effective. There are too many biting species that are not caught by the magnet.

Just my 2 cents.

EricF

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    It was Lemon Fresh Joy and it's false. Check out the Urban Legend Reference page.
    http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp
    Rats! I was hoping it was real--and nice'n'cheap!
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

When I go camping I just spray on the DEET and have citronella candles or torches every few feet around the area. Works pretty good. The little coils that you light and then smoulder seem to be somewhat effective also. I've tried some of the less expensive solutions such at the ones that just use a heat source and octanol (mosquito attracter) or repellant and they didn't work for me (dont want to metion any brand names but they look like a litte lantern that doesn't work when it's OFF or a tiny COLMAN stove). The large propane based ones that generate CO2 and also use octanol are what several campgrounds in Florida that I have been to used and they seemed to keep the area pretty clear, however.
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-30-2006 at 12:34 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread