+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My dog had a bout of amnesia

elsie is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst elsie 0

Smile My dog had a bout of amnesia

the other day. It was early a.m. and I had my 3 dogs out with me to shut off power to the automatic pool cover pump since we didn't get the rain overnight that was forecasted (I figure it's less wear & tear on the pump that cycles on/off every 5 minutes if plugged into power source). As I was doing that, I heard a sound I knew I shouldn't be hearing, but I had to see it with my eyes before I understood what it was.

My 45-lb. dog who seems perpetually tethered to my hip decided to take a short cut to get to me and instead of going around the pool, went *across* it. There she was, standing in the middle of the pool frozen in time with a look of a deer in headlights. I was as horrified as she, of course, immediately imagining the pool cover being pulled down and over her and how would I rescue her without putting my own life in peril? But that didn't happen. She turned around, got off the cover and then came around the pool to reach me, her heart pounding out of her chest. The 8-ft. long double water bags that are end-to-end held the cover securely -- it didn't even budge with her on it. And, the icing on the cake is that she also didn't puncture the cover. I thought both results were divinely terrific, of course the first holding an infinitely higher status.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: My dog had a bout of amnesia

How scary!! I'm glad your cover held up--you can certainly recommend it without hesitation, huh?

Glad your dog is okay--I have nightmares about my old dog falling into the pool because I know she'll panic if that ever happens. I just hope my pool alarm works as well as your water bags did!

Janet

Can the pool alarm be tested/activated occasionally? I can't imagine a worse thing then losing a beloved animal companion to a pool. I think if that happened to me I would have the thing filled in; I could never look at it again as a source of pleasure. Fortunately, none of my 3 dogs enjoys being outside if I'm not so I'll never have to worry about that (they make me walk them twice a day instead, rain or shine).

I realized the other day that had I had on the cheapo cover I initially bought and put on, Betty would've gone under. I only had that cover on for 20 minutes last Fall before one of the seams began to give and a foot-long section opened up (ouch to sliding an air mattress under a tear just minutes into putting a new cover on). I subsequently got a quality cover from the guy who installed my new liner. Thank God for that!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The alarm can be turned on and off and tested at will by either pressing two buttons in combination or by dropping a weight into the pool. (The bullfrogs that swim in my pool on summer nights test it quite regularly!)

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by elsie View Post
    the automatic pool cover pump
    What is an automatic pool cover pump?
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump, Sand Dollar sand filter, Polaris 65 vacuum

There are various types, but in general terms it's a pump to which you attach an ordinary garden hose that sits on top of your solid winter cover and automatically pumps rainwater off as long as the electrical cord is plugged in - you don't need to be home to monitor. I've tried several kinds over the past 7 years and have found my favorite is the Rule cover pump ($150). It will automatically turn on every 5 minutes and if it senses water will pump it off. However it's a rather lightweight pump (but pumps at a high velocity) so with torrential rains I'll ultimately have to use my pool brush to brush deep water towards the pump to reduce standing water but that's no bother; and there's no problem unattended because if the water gets too deep some will always gravitate towards the pump so the water will not get so deep as to displace pool water under the cover.

Worst pump I ever tried was Little Giant's Water Wizard. It operates on the float-principle, i.e., when the water reaches a certain depth and activates the float it automatically turns on and pumps water. But it has a large flat plastic base and is not horizontally stable on the cover in deep rainwater and as well is very difficult to clean out the clogs as you have to unscrew the base plate (it's very easy to unclog with the Rule pump as the motor just snaps right into the base). Moreover, I'm quite sure the sharp plastic base edges tore my cover one year. I love the Rule automatic pump.

Well, it isn't just the four legged variety that forgets where they are. I was cutting and fitting a new solar blanket Sunday night and turned around and stepped right off the edge into the shallow end. No, I was not dressed for swimming Oh well, the water was fine and my wallet dried out quickly. I guess when my sons call me an old dog, they aren't far from the truth
    34 X 22/15 inground vinyl w/ Hayward equipment

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Well, it isn't just the four legged variety that forgets where they are. I was cutting and fitting a new solar blanket Sunday night and turned around and stepped right off the edge into the shallow end. No, I was not dressed for swimming Oh well, the water was fine and my wallet dried out quickly. I guess when my sons call me an old dog, they aren't far from the truth
    As long as you don't smell like "wet dog" you're OK!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread