+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hard Plumb Question & Size

jrv331 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jrv331 0

Default Hard Plumb Question & Size

Currently my pump & filter are about 12ft from my pool. I'm using several pieces of flex hose to make the connections to the skimmer and return. I'm adding a heater this year and I want to switch to everything to hard plumbing. Is 1 1/2 pvc sufficient size all the way around?

The heater is currently set up with 2' adapters. Any reason I should not change these to 1 1/2' to keep all the plumbing the same size or should I go 2' all the way around? Other than a higher flow rate any other advantages.

I take my pump/filter inside in the winter months and will make whatever set up I go with able to be disasembled so I can take all of it inside as well.
    Thanks for any Help
    John

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Hard Plumb Question & Size

The primary advantage of larger pipe is less head loss and higher flow rates so turnovers will be faster and you can shorten the pump's run time saving $$.

In addition, because of the lower head loss, the pressure inside the pipes will be less with 2" than 1 1/2". In most cases, higher pressure is not a huge problem unless there is a weak joint somewhere.

Also, 2" is not that much more expensive than 1 1/2" so I would go with the 2".

Any reason other than cost that you did not want to go with 2" pipe?
    Last edited by mas985; 02-05-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

The heater is set for 2" pipe, but my pump/filter/skimmer and return are all
    1 1/2". Thought it might be easier to change out two vs 4, plus if I need any tricky connections I could always fall back on a piece of 1 1/2 flex pipe I already have.
    Thanks
    John

Amazingly similar to my situation… Just bought a new Hayward that has 2” fittings, and my Doughboy has 1.5”… currently running the flex pipe but want to do it the 'right' way and hard pipe everything. I’d prefer to go 2” hard pipe all the way around, but how do you switch out the skimmer and return ports to 2"………?

I was kind of lucky with my skimmer, the barb screws in so I just changed it out for 2" plus a union. The return was a little different, I went 2" pvc and reduced to a 1 1/2" connection at the return.

Let me know if I can be of more help, lots of good info here.
    John

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

John, sorry I missed it when you first asked your question (I had to go help my mother who broke her leg in 3 places and was away from a computer for 3 weeks )

Anyway, I'm not sure where to look for them but they do make fittings that are 1 1/2" mpt with a 2" socket on them - I guess you'd call them a reducing male adapter - They would be great for your situation or wetviking's

Again, sorry I didn't see this when you needed this info but, hopefully, it will help others.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread