+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Chlorine readings - how do they impact other readings

Default High Chlorine readings - how do they impact other readings

I have a Taylor test kit that I've been using for years, and usually get a new kit every 2 years. My kit is stored in my garage and does not see daylight until I use it. Recently, I emptied 75% of the water and replaced with fresh water that comes into my house. That was a month ago. The reason was my calcium level was ~500, and it was evident on the tile with a visible white line.

In testing my water yesterday, it showed:
    Chlorine: 5ppm
    PH: 7.2
    Alkalinity: 90
    Calcium Hardness: 260
    Cyanuric Acid: 65

Which I think are good numbers. For the heck of it, I took a water sample down to Leslie's pool store to double check the calcium hardness since I just replaced 75% of the water in the pool. The store values were reported at 175. My fill water is 160. I told him that his reported values must be incorrect since they differ than my readings. He said they are different because my high chlorine level, which begs me to ask the question if a chlorine level of 5ppm would do this (personally I don't think it would). Thoughts?

Second, what are your thoughts on a magnetic water conditioner? According to what I've read, its suppose to:
    Magnetizer helps reduce sanitizing chemical usage by 30% to 50%. By helping to stabilize the pH and eliminating many pH chemicals, chemical costs are reduced. The Magnetizer helps to eliminate algae, helps keep the water cleaner and improves the clarity of your pool or spa.
    For me, I'm looking at this device to help control scaling on the tile (water line).

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: High Chlorine readings - how do they impact other readings

Mmmmm. Let's see. 25% * 500 + 75% * 160 = 245 which is pretty close to your measured 260. I'd say your measurement is the correct one.

High chlorine levels should not affect the CH test. Chlorine levels above 10 ppm affect the pH test, usually making it read too high. High chlorine levels can also make the TA test go from blue to yellow instead of the normal green to red.

Richard

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Pool magnets are nothing but snake oil! They have been around for years and all they do is lighten you wallet! If you decide to buy one please contact me about a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you!

The only other test that high chlorine levels could affect is the chlorine test IF you are using DPD (not FAS-DPD titrations or OTO) since DPD starts to beach out at about 10 ppm and will read low or no chlorine slightly above this level.
    Last edited by waterbear; 02-02-2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hey! That's MY bridge! I got a receipt!

I would raise FC a little--with CYA=65, you are at the very low end of "safe" with FC=5 The recommended range for CYA=60 to 90 is FC of 5 to 10 ppm.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Hey! That's MY bridge! I got a receipt!
    Sorry Carl, I forgot I sold it to you last year! There is still that real estate in the Everglades available.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Sorry Carl, I forgot I sold it to you last year! There is still that real estate in the Everglades available.
    I gotta get in on that! I think I'll see if I can still get a no-principle ARM to pay for it.

"Hey! This is MY swamp!" --Shrek
    Carl

Thanks for the responses. I'll stay clear of the magnetic water conditioner.

I would raise FC a little--with CYA=65, you are at the very low end of "safe" with FC=5 The recommended range for CYA=60 to 90 is FC of 5 to 10 ppm.
    If I raise the CYA to 80 or so, then the FC can be lower? I'm concerned about getting accurate readings (sorry just part of my job in metrology - being precise in measurements). I guess I'll add some stabilizer to raise it a bit.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    If I raise the CYA to 80 or so, then the FC can be lower? I'm concerned about getting accurate readings (sorry just part of my job in metrology - being precise in measurements). I guess I'll add some stabilizer to raise it a bit.
    You've got it backwards. Carl was suggesting raising the FC, not the CYA. If you raised the CYA you'd have to raise the FC even more. I'd leave your CYA where it is and just try and target a 6 ppm FC instead of the 5 where you are now at. This will help ensure that you don't get any algae growth.

You'd only raise your CYA if you found that your chlorine loss from sunlight during the day was too high.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    You've got it backwards. Carl was suggesting raising the FC, not the CYA. If you raised the CYA you'd have to raise the FC even more. I'd leave your CYA where it is and just try and target a 6 ppm FC instead of the 5 where you are now at. This will help ensure that you don't get any algae growth.

You'd only raise your CYA if you found that your chlorine loss from sunlight during the day was too high.

Richard
    Thanks, Richard....Cabin fever must be getting to me--Yeah, of course I meant raising the FC, not CYA.

You adjust your FC based on the level of CYA. If your CYA is too high for your taste, you have to drain water and refill to get it down.
    Carl

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

As long as we're dealing in real estate, I have a lock on some Kansas beachfront property - if you act quickly, I can even get you frontage on whichever ocean you'd prefer

On a more serious note: I'm glad Charlie got ya'lls good advice! I'm not going to be around for a couple of weeks, so I count on YOU to answer the questions that may come up while I'm nursing my mom back to health!

Carl, did you experience the earthquake and make it through OK?

Have fun and take care - waste (a/k/a Ted)
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread