+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PH too high

Default PH too high

Hi, all. Say, I am struggling week after week to keep my PH level within the normal range. It always runs above 7.8. I have to add almost a quart of muriatic acid every week to keep it down.

Is this normal?

Jonathan

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: PH too high

Jonathan, if you have a SWCG, this is about normal if you keep your TA over 100. Waterbear, chem_geek and PatL have posts on this. If you lower your TA to the ~70ppm range, the outgassing causing the pH creep will minimize so you would need to use less acid If you have a plaster or pebbletech pool, you may need to adjust the calcium down to allow for this.

I'm far from an expert on this, but it's what I remember
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

If you lower the Total Alkalinity (TA) significantly, then you may have to raise the Calcium Hardness (CH) UP somewhat, not down. Also, the use of Borates can also help reduce the rate of pH rise significantly.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

This very common w/SWGs and new concrete pools. It's counter-intuitive but the solution is correct.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Not counterintuitive at all once you really understand what is happening in your pool!
    Lowering the TA means lowering the carbonation of your pool (all pool are over-carbonated on purpose). This means there is less carbon dioxide in the water that can outgas. Outgassing of CO2 is one of the main factor that makes the pH rise. (There are others but they are not the primary reason pH rises, with perhaps the main exception being curing plaster which introduces alkaline material into the water.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread