Hi all,

IG plaster 22.5k gallons
    FC 3.0
    CC < 0.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 110
    Cal 240
    CYA 55

I have been adding baking soda to tweak up TA. Also, I know I need to raise calcium. But finding it has been a nightmare. Suggestions from this forum include Dowflake (road salt?) and something Lowes has in 5 pound bags. Well, here in the Sierra Foothills, we rarely need to salt the roads (global warming ) and the local Lowes have never heard of the stuff. Our smaller building-supply center -- Meeks -- was able to order "Calcium Increaser" by HTH. But it's nine bucks for a four-pound jar!

I really hate to rehash this subject, but I could use some more specifics for what to buy. It's only calcium carbonate, right?

Peace,
    Paul
    _ _ _ _ _ _
    They told me practice makes perfect. Then, they said nobody’s perfect. So, I stopped practicing.
    Stephen Wright

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Buying calcium -- this is ridiculous

Paul,

It's Calcium Chloride, not Calcium Carbonate. It comes in two forms, Calcium Chloride Anhydrous such as found in Peladow (90% pure) and another form Calcium Chloride Dihydrate such as found in Dowflake (96% pure). It is also, of course, found in many "Calcium Hardness Increaser" products at pool stores. You can also buy it at The Chemistry Store.

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 12-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks, Richard.

Right, CaCl not CaCO3. No wonder adding all those crushed sea shells didn't help.

The Chemistry Store, ok! Except it's at the other end of the country (SC) and the shipping kills me. My cost for CaCl still ends up at $2.50/pound, unless I want 500+ pounds. I'm just as well off with the HTH stuff I can get here. Part of the joy of living in California, I suppose.

I didn't want to do this, but I guess I have to check out the pool store.

Peace,
    Paul
    _ _ _ _ _
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
    Henry David Thoreau

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Most pool stores can get it for you in 50 lb bags. It's not expensive when bought that way. Often it will be either Dow or Tetra brand.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: Buying calcium -- this is ridiculous

Don't know if this will help, but you might want to try one of the ready mix concrete companies. If you're expecting freezing temps right after you've poured concrete, you would add a bag of calcium chloride to the truck before pouring so the crete 'kicks' before it freezes (it's 'accelerator' or 'kicker' if you call them) - the stuff I've seen them add is ~ 77%.

I realize that you are in a warmer climate, but we used to use it in Richmond Va. , which isn't exactly a cold place Just thought I'd throw out the idea for you. Good luck in finding a reasonably priced source for the calcium!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Why not just chlorinate with Cal-hypo for a little while? It won't take the calcium long to get where you need it to be...

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

That was what I was going to suggest, but Jan did it first.

Cal-Hypo is usually available all over, as either HtH or the other brand I have a mental block against. If you can get the 62 or 68%, it is better than the 48%--less impurities. But be careful with it--don't mix it with other chlorine types (once in the water it's OK--if you've been using Tri-Chlor or bleach, just use Cal-Hypo instead).
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Most of the cal hypo out there these days is 48% since it's classified as a class II oxidizer and not a class III oxidizer so it's safer to ship and store. A one pound bag will raise the calcium in 10k gal. about 3 ppm. This will be a very slow way to add calcium. Evan if you can find the 68-72% stuff it's only going to raise the calcium in 10k gal. by about 6 ppm per bag.
    Last edited by waterbear; 12-06-2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks waterbear, waste, aylad, and CarlD, for your thoughts. I especially like waste's suggestion about getting a kicker agent from a ready-mix company. We have about a zillion such outfits here. If they can't help, I'll hit the pool store for a 50 lb. bag of Dow or Tetra.

Let's call switching to Cal-Hypo 'Plan B'.

Cheers from the Sierra Foothills,
    Paul

_ _ _ _ _
    Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
    Mark Twain

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Cal-hypo is actually very easy--you can't easily over-calcify your water if you check the CH level every week. It will go up slowly and steadily. There's nothing WRONG with Cal-Hypo. I don't like it because I use bleach and don't need calcium to rise in my vinyl pool.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread